16 inch split rims pros and cons. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

B

burger

I was wondering what if any the benefits of split rims are over one piece. Are they stronger? I want to go to 16 inch rims as I have heard that they are better. What are your thoughts guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually you go that route because you want beadlocks.

I dont know of any other reason for doing it.

TB

Don't know if any of our Ozzy brothers are watching this thread, however what I have been able to gather from reading the lists is split rims are quite desirable on long outback trips where you are miles away from help. You can change your tires, change your tubes, etc easier with a split rim then with a conventional rim.

That said, follow the link above and you will find lots of material about these rims. Do a search of the LCML as well for lots more reading on the subject.

To answer your question about 16" tires being stronger...AFAIK typically, if you take two tires made by the same manufacturer close to the same size, the 16" tire will be a heavier load range, which you can interpolate into meaing a stonger tire. Case in point: The BFG mud Terrain KM 33x10.5R15 is load range "C" while the 255/85/R16 is load rated "D". Load range "E" is not uncommon in some 16" tires. The comparible 16" tire will also have less sidewall, which can equate to more stability when aired down quite a bit.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
It really depends on what tire you want to run, and what kind of wheeling you're doing. Splits make tire changes easy when you're used to them, and they're pretty damn heavy and bulletproof, which makes them a good choice for outback/ expedition wheeling. The big cons are weight, the need for tubes, and the moderate width choice : 5.5" or some extremely rare newer 6". I put my 7.50x16s on them, and am pretty satisfied with the performance, I can deflate down to 8psi with no major trouble, but the high profile ratio of the tire and its narrowness makes the handling funny at such pressures. If you don't do expedition stuff or similar, I wouldn't bother with splits, which most people/ tire places wouldn't want to touch, but I'd pick them over a non-toyota rim for strength issues if doing a lot of offroad stuff.

Greg_B said:
Don't know if any of our Ozzy brothers are watching this thread, however what I have been able to gather from reading the lists is split rims are quite desirable on long outback trips where you are miles away from help. You can change your tires, change your tubes, etc easier with a split rim then with a conventional rim.
gb

That answered your own query fairly well. The old timers,farmers and prospectors in oz all go for the 16 in split rims for ease of changing ,tyre availability and tyre price.
A lot of them stock up on 2nd hand tyres they get for nothing when they visit the city and put them on brand new cruisers
There is those tyre pliers that are supposed to make any tyre easy to change but Ive never used them.

Nice pics Denis
347b96d884.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like it will be regular 16 inch rims so that I can go to a heavier duty tire.

#42601-60262-03 from your local Toyota dealer will net you some silver heavy duty 16x6 steel wheels which have 3.75" BS. Unique 21-7760 will net you some 16x7 white spoke steel wheels that are 4" BS. Both should work on your truck. They will, however, narrow your stance .5" and 1" respectively. There are spacers you can bolt on to widen your stance, if bolt on spacers do not bother you.

hth's

gb

Advantage of Split Rims is that the're cheap, $25 each from Dunlop Super Dealer. Compared to ROH Trak II 16x8 $124 - Tyre's such as 205R16, 7.5x16 and such are quite exspensive. :princess:

Jonathan_Ferguson said:
Advantage of Split Rims is that the're cheap, $25 each from Dunlop Super Dealer. Compared to ROH Trak II 16x8 $124 - Tyre's such as 205R16, 7.5x16 and such are quite exspensive. :princess:

Do you have the specs in these ROH Trak II 16x8 wheels? Things like the BS measurement, etc. The only link I found was

http://www.rohwheels.com.au/pages/html/wheels-steel.htm

which does not give a lot of information. 16x8 with the proper offset and BS for 40/60/70 Landcruisers has been non-obtanium in North America afaik...

Thanks

gb

Jonathan_Ferguson said:
Email I recived on the 19 of June

What Offset and Backspacing is the 16x8 Trak II availible in?

What is a suitable Offset/Backspace for a Live front Axle Hilux to run 285/75 R16 Tyres?

Sir ,

The 16x8 Trak 2 6/5.5 comes with a 13 negative offset , mainly to suit leaf sprung vehicles such as the Landcruiser , Patrol or Hilux but you would need to fit a flare kit onto the Hilux to legally have the 16x8 wheels - the 16x7 would be more practical .
Backspace will be 100mm on the 16x8 - 89mm on the 16x7 ..

Hope this all helps ....

DAVID CLARKE
ROH WHEELS VICTORIA .
rohvic@roh.com.au

Well I am back after my log in name dissapeared in to oblivion, now a Rookie Again.
Anyhow my 2 cents worth is, I was orignally running splities but had a nightmare of a time getting them balanced properly so now I am running 16x 7 Inch ROH trackriders with 235/85/16 tyres wich give me slightly higher gearing, lucky i have a turbo. .

Cheers Dazz

Ahh Its good to be back

Jonathan_Ferguson said:
Email I recived on the 19 of June

The 16x8 Trak 2 6/5.5 comes with a 13 negative offset , mainly to suit leaf sprung vehicles such as the Landcruiser , Patrol or Hilux but you would need to fit a flare kit onto the Hilux to legally have the 16x8 wheels - the 16x7 would be more practical .
Backspace will be 100mm on the 16x8 - 89mm on the 16x7 ..

rohvic@roh.com.au

I e-mailed them asking if they have an North American distributor, as their website shows a world map...however there is no information for North America. Been a few days now and no reply.

Thanks for the info!

gb

15 inch split rims or not, how do I know??

Ok - this question has probably already been answered but is there such thing as a toyota 15 inch split rim. All I see is 16's. I have a 73 fj40 I brought back with me from Costa Rica and the splits are stamped with the following on the most outer part
TOPFYX15E then a part way down its stamped 5-86
How do you measure the size of a split rim. The splits are in great shape but I am having a heck of a time finding tires to replace the ones that are on there ( 7.00-15 LT Trans Lug Firestone AT)
Its funny because I have seen other pics of splits that guys say are 16 inch but the tire on them reads 15lt

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

Last edited:
Ok - this question has probably already been answered but is there such thing as a toyota 15 inch split rim. All I see is 16's. I have a 73 fj40 I brought back with me from Costa Rica and the splits are stamped with the following on the most outer part
TOPFYX15E then a part way down its stamped 5-86
How do you measure the size of a split rim. The splits are in great shape but I am having a heck of a time finding tires to replace the ones that are on there ( 7.00-15 LT Trans Lug Firestone AT)
Its funny because I have seen other pics of splits that guys say are 16 inch but the tire on them reads 15lt

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

Yes there were 15" split rims. 15" tire won't fit on a 16" rim. If you are staying with bias ply tires you may find something in that size, but better selection if you change tire sizes.

Just take off the ring or lock or whatever you want to call it and measure the diameter. split rims are dangerous. many people have been killed with them blowing apart without having them installed properly. buy some drop centre wheels an never have to worry. I know of alot of tire ships that will NOT work on split rims and some others that charge a 50 dollar surcharge.

Talking about rim load range, I've found out that some manufactures like procomp have a higher loading rate on their aluminium wheels than in their steel wheels.

I've also heard some people mentioning that steel wheels are not necesarily stronger.

Pro-Comp 16x8 steel wheels: 2000 lbs.

Mickey Thompson 16x8 aluminium wheels: 3100 lbs.

Flat Black Series 98

Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom