16 inch rims for LJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just acquired a set of 16" mag wheels from a '96 Forerunner, as a second set of rims for my '91 Prado. The profile of the rims is slightly different so was rubbing the tie rod end on the front left side. After adding a 6mm spacer (from 4wheel auto) I still had some rubbing. If I add two spacers there is adequate clearance, but my lug nuts only hold 4 or five turns, which seems too little. The rims seem to have lots of beef; has anyone modified similar rims to create clearance; it looks like grinding about 2mm deep and 6 to 10 mm wide would do it, and the rims have so much beef I don't think it would compromise the rims.

These rims look great, so I want to make this work. Any help appreciated.

I wouldnt do it. Grinding them creates a weak spot. You might come around a corner hit a bump and have a rim fold underneath you.
The heat from the grinder might make whats left even weaker:eek:
Maybe you could fit some longer studs. Im sure thats been done.

Use the kind of spacers that move the rim out an inch or so. They have there own studs on them.

Or buy the long nuts that go thru the rim.

Don't grind on your rim.

If the rims don't work, they just don't work.

But why not go see the guys at Kal Tire for some advice on stud/spacer/nut s what ever. Better than guessing.

thanks for confirming my thoughts; no grind. I wasn't keen on spacers because I thought they came in 1.5 inch or bigger sizes. 4wheelauto has 1" spacers that will work fine. It's a few bucks ($100 each), but these rims are way nicer thany any steel wheels for comparable price.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom