16.5 rim or 16 rim What would choose and why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got stock 15in rims on my 1991 fj80. I have new 33x10.5x15 BFG AT on her, it was the tallest skinny tire I could find quick, I needed tires asap. Now I have time and want taller tires.

I like tall skinny (tires and woman) and I see in the 16in and 16.5 area there are plenty. One thing that I like is that there is a ton of surplus military tires and they are in the 9x36 range. Love that. There are also STA Super's etc...

My question is, I want to try the military at 16.5 but may not like them. Are there 16.5 tall skinny's other than military that you like. Like these Coker Vintage Truck and Military Tires 71014

I also have a stock suspension on the 80, so I have to do some research to see if the skinny 36 will fit.

I have read that the 16.5 tires/wheels use a different bead style that is prone to popping off if you lower the air pressure. Also, milsurp tires are generally stiffer and have bad ride quality since they are designed to be used on vehicles that weigh 18 tons.

I'd be really surprised if you could find 16.5" wheels that fit. 16.5 is pretty obsolete in the modern age. I'd go 16".

16.5 beads have a shallower angle and the beads break really easy. Nice when you're a trucker or the military so you can swap the tire on the side of the road or in bfe. I bet 16.5 tires are a pita to source in addition to the rims themselves, as mentioned above. Don't over think it....

Yeah, I meant sourcing regular tires.... I'm sure you can find them for rvs as well... Huge load ratings....

If you like tall & skinny the old style military 9:00 x 16 NDT or NDCC are 35.5" tall.

Great tire for dirt, sand and mud.....but on snow, ice or wet pavement they will peg your pucker-factor meter.

Wanted to buy those JDM deep dish rims for years that look great with 16.5 tyres but found out their more hassle then their worth especially when sourcing tyres are expensive and becoming harder to find.

Like others said, 16.5 is good for inexpensive surplus tires that have very stiff sidewalls.

16 are more common with more options and would be easier to unload if you change your mind.

Skinny tires are actually better in snow because you lose the "plowing effect". Now if you go super wide that's better for powder because your foot print distributes the weight better.

Sidenote: You don't want your women too skinny...You need some curves!

You can buy recentered HMMWV bead lock wheels but I would probably still want to go with a standard rim and tire just in case you're ever a long way from how and lost a tire, unless of course you had spares. I considered this route and decided to just go with standard sizes.

To limiting in the 16.5. Not worth it IMHO.

To limiting in the 16.5. Not worth it IMHO.

Also, the Hummer is being phased out, so that supply is drying up. We have a fleet of Hummer trailers for our Forest work, the replacement tires that we are seeing lately are old, have had one come apart, etc. Are being told, with the Hummer going away, no new tires have been bought in a longtime, so looking to convert the trailers to 6 hole pattern and use the same 17" Toyota rims and 37" tires as the towing Cruisers.

Also, the Hummer is being phased out, so that supply is drying up. We have a fleet of Hummer trailers for our Forest work, the replacement tires that we are seeing lately are old, have had one come apart, etc. Are being told, with the Hummer going away, no new tires have been bought in a longtime, so looking to convert the trailers to 6 hole pattern and use the same 17" Toyota rims and 37" tires as the towing Cruisers.

The Bravo looks like it runs 22.5 rims.

I would run military surplus tires only on a trailer queen. They are old, heavy, and hard to balance well for high speeds on the freeways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom