15w-40 and filters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m running Rotella 15w-40 t4 and Motorcraft fl-1a filter. Recently watching a YouTube vid with Whip City Wrencher and he had cut open a new FL-1a and it’s a bit different.

Anyone else see this and what other filter options are out there for guys running 15w-40?

Toyota is the best way to go.

@Footwork what is the benefit of the motorcraft filters?

I used to use 15-40 but switched back to mobile 1 5-30 and my oil consumption went down. Always thought I was helping out using a thicker oil but in my case not so much

What’s the benefit of using an aftermarket engine oil filter when the oem version is cheap as dirt?
I get your logic, but motorcraft is OEM for Fords so wondering if there is something special about them. I already know a Ford guy who uses Toyota filters so i get people have their preferences but would be nice to know it isn't just based on paint color or something trivial.

I get your logic, but motorcraft is OEM for Fords so wondering if there is something special about them. I already know a Ford guy who uses Toyota filters so i get people have their preferences but would be nice to know it isn't just based on paint color or something trivial.
It’s all trivial in my view because no one has done the R&D to suggest one over the other except Toyota who backs their filter for use on factory engines like the 1FZ-FE.

A bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

Last edited:
What’s the benefit of using an aftermarket engine oil filter when the oem version is cheap as dirt?

I'm not taking any position on the issue, just answering a question. I do run Purolator PureONE (or whatever they're called now) filters on my motorcycles. I run Toyota YZZD3's on my 80, but may change when I run out.

A bigger filter for the thicker oil
Larger oil filter with more filter surface area will get you more filtration. But thicker oil has nothing to do with this.

They do in Australia all day long.

Interesting video.

Not an expert and it's been discussed a bazillion times.

However, IMHO seems like the critical factor is not only how well an oil filter filters (micron range), but how often and in which mode they fail: ie: either internal collapse causing no flow (bad) or bypass stuck open allowing flow of unfiltered oil (better than no flow).

One thing not talked about much is that Toyota went to the smaller filter for the 1FZFE ??around 1996 (experts chime in here) and that filter (assuming it's similiar to other brands same design/size) may have a different bypass PSI opening range.

For the smaller filter design the bypass range for a Purolator Boss for example is 12-16 psi versus 8-15 psi for the larger filter (Purolator). That opening range is the difference between the intake and outlet side of the filter, not the PSI of the system. So if the filter gets clogged the bypass valve opens allowing unfiltered oil to go straight to the engine, which is better than no oil.

So if the bypass PSI range is a bit higher in the small filter compared to the larger filter that would seem to indicate the smaller filter is filtering the oil more often. Or to say it the other way around, the bypass valve in the larger filter would open more often. Whether that makes a difference, IDK.

So taking that into account, thicker oil in general generates higher pressure which means the bypass valve may be open more often ie: during a cold start, particularly in the larger filter.

So is this why Toyota decided to switch to the smaller filter??

IDK

Page 263 of a 2000 Australian manual. Note this is after everything went to the small filters.
20220706_161844.jpg

Last edited:
@Footwork So I think the scientific question would have to include determining if the filter media vs the filter openings are the bottle neck and if those change places based on viscosity at a given temperature (and if it is the media surface than does cause the most restriction, is that reduced by larger surface) I think from what you are trying to describe, is the larger surface area of more filter media would allow it to filter more oil at a given moment (rate) than less surface area. This would be assuming that both filters use the same filter media, just one providing more surface area for flow. Some people would argue that a larger filter media surface would be to allow filtering for a longer period of time before it becomes clogged and begins to bypass.
I am not an expert on oil filters, I just switched to Toyota after having bad experiences with FRAM, and K&N. but no bad experiences really with mobile1 or Prolator. If size was really important to me, then I would default to look at the Mobile1 M1-301A which I believe is fairly large compared to the M1-102A.

I will say that on the 1fzfe. the filter gasket on the toyota filter is superior as felt by me when trying to take the old ones off... I really like the o-ring style over the flat rubber ring which is stupid hard to get off on the 1fzfe for some reason. not a real issue on other vehicles I've had though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom