1500 bucks yea or nay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found this 40 sitting around and the guy wants to sell it for 1500 bucks. He has not start it in 5 years and the starter was taken off and he does not know why or how it was taken off. It was stored in the storage garage for 4 years and 1 year sitting as is he saids. For 1500 bucks what you guys think yes or no?

I know I will need to redo the whole brake system

repalce all fluids

gaskets/seals/belts/etc.

then misc

102_1066.jpg

102_1062.jpg

102_1057.jpg

Worst case, you've got more than $1500 in parts to sell. Talk him down to $1000 - $1200 and don't think twice about it. :D

I was thinking the same thing roughly 1250 only because after I saw the brakes it looked bad shape overall fluids were dry also in it. Then of course replace the lines saw some were cracked. Need new windshield also...

I would say first, that more pics need to be shown to see the condition of the body. It has after market seats and the shifter was moved to the floor which IIRC should be a 3 on the tree with the vaccum actuated xfer case. With the pics shown I would say 1K max.

I would say first, that more pics need to be shown to see the condition of the body. It has after market seats and the shifter was moved to the floor which IIRC should be a 3 on the tree with the vaccum actuated xfer case. With the pics shown I would say 1K max.

nspctr1,
thanks for you opinion as usual man on price values here are some more pics of it.

lc3.jpg

lc2.jpg

lc1.jpg

Looks like it has the factory seats in the back. What year? It doesn't have a brake booster so I would say pre 70 but the dash looks like a 72 which could have had a 3 speed floor shifter.

Looks like it has the factory seats in the back. What year? It doesn't have a brake booster so I would say pre 70 but the dash looks like a 72 which could have had a 3 speed floor shifter.

its a 69 and it seems every time I talk to him he divulges more information. I found out yesterday that the engine is a engine from a 70 cause the orginial died on him had a knock in it. Then of course he did the 3 on the floor from the column.

Not the first time some guy thought his sheeit was worth gold.

Parts car only... 300-500 bucks IMHO.

Everything without exception needs work.

Best,

T

Not the first time some guy thought his sheeit was worth gold.

Parts car only... 300-500 bucks IMHO.

Everything without exception needs work.

Best,

T

Thats a good way of putting it as a parts car like you said I was trying to be 'modest' and trying to figure out what needs work. I told the guy as long as the engine and tranny are good I wont mind much of anything else since I dont have the room to overhaul the engine itself tranny I might have room to do it.

That is the first time I have seen a full length Dash pad.

hmm..interesting I guess its those little things that I ignore trying to figure out the bigger things, but in the end its the little things that matter most good eye, thanks man.

1970 cruiser maybe an early 70, tell him 500 bucks, the economy sucks and it will cost plenty to make it a driver, might be expensive if it's free. Best, Larry

What are you looking for in an FJ40? Are you looking for a trail rig or a street/trail driver? You keep posting up questions about complete basket cases that will take $5k to get road worthy. Take your time, do plenty of research, and go look at every one you see for sale. If you're looking for something that just needs a little work to drive around in, you're going to need to spend a little more.

Thats a good way of putting it as a parts car like you said I was trying to be 'modest' and trying to figure out what needs work. I told the guy as long as the engine and tranny are good I wont mind much of anything else since I dont have the room to overhaul the engine itself tranny I might have room to do it.

hmm..interesting I guess its those little things that I ignore trying to figure out the bigger things, but in the end its the little things that matter most good eye, thanks man.

I wouldn't worry as much about the engine and tranny as I would about finding a solid, unmolested cruiser that hasn't been hacked on by the PO. Good used engines and trannies are cheap for these things.

What are you looking for in an FJ40? Are you looking for a trail rig or a street/trail driver? You keep posting up questions about complete basket cases that will take $5k to get road worthy. Take your time, do plenty of research, and go look at every one you see for sale. If you're looking for something that just needs a little work to drive around in, you're going to need to spend a little more.
looking to make something a daily driver, but not a complete engine/tranny/axle overhaul I dont have the room for that. Electrical issues no biggie, fluid changes no biggie, misc stuff no biggie as long as I dont have to take apart the tranny, axles, engine it be ok by me.

I ask these questions here because alot of people are VERY EMOTIONAL when it comes to selling such classic vehicles as the FJ40 that they belive their car is worth more than what it is. I like to get 2nd opinions here from the forum since it be non biased on what im buying. I saw many FJ40 owners tell me such things as:

-I touched this FJ40 so it adds value because I put my sweat into it. Its at least worth 15k.

Its comments like that that I walk away from.

Offer him what you are comfortable paying

I would offer him less, but if you like it and want to do the work 1,500 is not that bad from that I have seen in my area. I would love to know where I can buy one like this for $500.

Thats the best statement here: Don't hesitate to walk away. I paid 5k for mine and everything worked flawlessly only needed body work. You cannot put 3500 into that and buy what I did. Mine was no exception, it was a solid Fj for 5k there are plenty like the one I bought. Of course I've since spent another 10k to make it what it is!

pay him a few hundred for the parts value or walk away. That is no way worth 1500 bucks, although you may get more then then to part it out. Figure the labor and effort to disassemble though.

Make the offer and give him a card with your contact info. Tell him to call you if he changes his mind, then politely say thanks anyway and walk away!

Thx again everyone for the help and opinion....

Its funny reading everyones responses gives me a breathe of fresh air of what to pay for then again I get respones from folks who claim they overspent on their FJ and I should do the same....you guys are right the rig alone is not worth 1500 for me. I was at man a fre looking over things I need to buy to replace if I was going to buy it and the parts came out to roughly 1k to 2k depending on how much to upgrade I wanted to do on it. That aint bad, but considering there are rigs out there that run for 3k and me paying 1500 here and adding in another k or so...does not seem worth it to me.

well unless he sold me the rig for 1k......then I probably take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom