GX460 / Prado150 pic thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Peters Mill Run, near Edinburg VA

PMR 1.JPG
PMR 2.JPG
PMR 3.JPG
PMR 4.JPG
PMR 6.JPG

150 with the 450.

Vaz4Rys.jpg

Suspension:
Dobinson KDSS rear coils
Dobinson Performance shocks rear
Dobinson Coilovers front
Dobinson rear airbag delete kit
Dobinson Upper Control Arms rear
Dobinson Lower Control Arms rear
Rokmen adjustable panhard bar
JBA Upper Control Arms
Dobinson differential drop kit

Performance:
Unimod
Wheeler's Offroad extended front and rear brake lines

Lighting:
Prado insignia lights up front
LED interiors

Wheels/Tires:
Fuel Tech Wheels
BFG KO2 285/75/17 tires

JDM:
Prado rocker panels

First big trip in the GX! Had a great week!
05919ADF-01F9-41A0-9FF3-DAB993A12AFC.jpeg

First big trip in the GX! Had a great week!

Nice, how did it do in the sand? I have a big beach trip coming up in a couple weeks. Did you just turn off traction control? I'm trying to figure out how the GX likes to tackle sand.

The GX took over beach driving duties from our '97 80 series and although I missed the 80, I was very happy with how the GX handled the sand. I just aired down and turned the traction control off (held it in for about 3 seconds). It resets itself when you shut the truck off, so you have to turn of the traction control each time you start it back up. I didn't have any problems all week. I wish it sat a little bit higher, but all in due time. For next year, and these are some 'just in case' items, I'd like to get a proper front recovery point and rear hitch. The hitch would serve as a rear recovery point and for a cargo carrier. Have a great trip!

The GX took over beach driving duties from our '97 80 series and although I missed the 80, I was very happy with how the GX handled the sand. I just aired down and turned the traction control off (held it in for about 3 seconds). It resets itself when you shut the truck off, so you have to turn of the traction control each time you start it back up. I didn't have any problems all week. I wish it sat a little bit higher, but all in due time. For next year, and these are some 'just in case' items, I'd like to get a proper front recovery point and rear hitch. The hitch would serve as a rear recovery point and for a cargo carrier. Have a great trip!
If you plan on doing the beach often, I HIGHLY recommend these:Amazon product ASIN B00HYCVSW6or here: MAXTRAX MKII Titanium Grey Traction Device
Here's how they work:

Cheers!

Great call! I forgot to mention recovery boards. I did get a set of Treds (by ARB) for the trip, since we were solo for a little bit. They’re definitely good insurance.

Great call! I forgot to mention recovery boards. I did get a set of Treds (by ARB) for the trip, since we were solo for a little bit. They’re definitely good insurance.
Haven't had to use mine yet, but as you said great insurance, especially in sand, mud or snow with nothing to winch from, e.g. tree, rock or other vehicle. In my research, I've found that the MaxTrax to be the best. Some where on YouTube some guy down under (an Aussie) did a comparasion between about a half dozen other brands along with other "trail tails" of using like floor mats, carpet, and other material. The interesting thing about that test was that everything that failed, he wound up using the MaxTrax to get his vehicle unstuck and then went on to try the next product or material on his test list. If I could find that YouTube link, I'd post it for you.

On that note, there was another guy, again an Aussie, who has a YouTube of 10 different uses for MaxTrax! Everything from leveling your rig for a roof-top tent and other uses!

Yup, I got a pair of Tred Pros as we'll be solo as well. Also, have a shovel of course and air compressor. I've driven on beaches in other vehicles, just wasn't sure the best way to tackle it in a GX since they have a pretty "smart" 4wd system. I do have MTS which has a sand mode that I may try out.

Haven't had to use mine yet, but as you said great insurance, especially in sand, mud or snow with nothing to winch from, e.g. tree, rock or other vehicle. In my research, I've found that the MaxTrax to be the best. Some where on YouTube some guy down under (an Aussie) did a comparasion between about a half dozen other brands along with other "trail tails" of using like floor mats, carpet, and other material. The interesting thing about that test was that everything that failed, he wound up using the MaxTrax to get his vehicle unstuck and then went on to try the next product or material on his test list. If I could find that YouTube link, I'd post it for you.

On that note, there was another guy, again an Aussie, who has a YouTube of 10 different uses for MaxTrax! Everything from leveling your rig for a roof-top tent and other uses!

Gotta love those Aussies! I have to agree that Max Trax seem like the best, but with the money I saved buying the Treds, I was able to also get a new snatch strap. I hope to never really need either of them! :beer:

Reactions: r2m
Nothing exciting, but I don;t think I have shared any pics since my lift. Bilstein 6112s up front from a T4R w/ 650 springs on clip #4 and 5160 shocks in the rear with 1.5-2" T4R Bilstein coils. Those coils only netted me 1" of lift, so I have 20mm spacers from Ironman on top of them for now. Still trying to find a suitable "no-load" coil for the rear that gives me about 1.75-2." I am tempted to try the Wheeler T12, which supposedly gives 2.5" on a T4R. Tires are 275/65R18 w/ Spidertrax 1.25" spacers.

Got everything fit on the Prinsu for an upcoming trip to the NC mountains and coast. Batwing awning, Tred Pros, Thules Hyper XL and Waterport all fit nicely. ARB compressor under the hood, Dometic CFX50w in the back and full RCI Aluminum skids round out the current mods.

RSG sliders should hopefully be arriving any day now.

Nothing exciting, but I don;t think I have shared any pics since my lift. Bilstein 6112s up front from a T4R w/ 650 springs on clip #4 and 5160 shocks in the rear with 1.5-2" T4R Bilstein coils. Those coils only netted me 1" of lift, so I have 20mm spacers from Ironman on top of them for now. Still trying to find a suitable "no-load" coil for the rear that gives me about 1.75-2." I am tempted to try the Wheeler T12, which supposedly gives 2.5" on a T4R. Tires are 275/65R18 w/ Spidertrax 1.25" spacers.

Got everything fit on the Prinsu for an upcoming trip to the NC mountains and coast. Batwing awning, Tred Pros, Thules Hyper XL and Waterport all fit nicely. ARB compressor under the hood, Dometic CFX50w in the back and full RCI Aluminum skids round out the current mods.

RSG sliders should hopefully be arriving any day now.
View attachment 1990667
Dobinsons' rear "no load" coils in 50mm netted me right at 1.75-2" and haven't really settled much since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom