15" Wheels on an 80' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen a few mentions of it, and know there's clearance issues when it comes to the calipers. Does anyone have a link to a good thread covering this topic? I did a couple searches and didn't find much directly related to this mod. As part of my overall goal, part of it includes a specific tire, and the size is only in 15". Maybe this can be the thread to cover this topic?! Please, if you have done this swap, have info, links or anything related, by all means chime in and have at it! I really want to run them, and the given tire (you're all going to wanna know, it's of the Interco variety, and a 38.5x14.50r15) and need the info to get the wheels to clear. Heck, if the right wheel spacers do the trick then that's an option. I'd rather shy away from them with tires that size, but if it's the only way/easiest bang for the buck, then so be it. Please, chime in!
P

Down here in OZ, all models pre 8/92 had 15 inch wheels. Smaller brakes all around (Drum rear on DX models). I just did a larger brake upgrade so know how all this works. The problem you will have will be on the back wheels, the caliper will rub (assuming you have the larger brakes already). You can grind down the caliper slightly to clear (not reccomended) or if you use -44 rims they will clear the caliper. The front will have no problems fitting inside a 15 inch rim Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Running under the assumption your truck is 93+ (larger calipers and disc in the rear) your options are proper BS wheels to clear the larger calipers, grind the calipers to clear or run spacers.

Running under the assumption your truck is 93+ (larger calipers and disc in the rear) your options are proper BS wheels to clear the larger calipers, grind the calipers to clear or run spacers.

Or swap in a drum brake axle.

(if you're '93+) Don't grind the calipers. It ends up being a real pain in the ass when they freeze up on you. I went the 15" route years ago and it wasn't worth it. Go find a set of 17" wheels and you'll find most tires have a 17" size. Lots of good options for you at that size. But hey, that's just my opinion, man.

(if you're '93+) Don't grind the calipers. It ends up being a real pain in the ass when they freeze up on you. I went the 15" route years ago and it wasn't worth it. Go find a set of 17" wheels and you'll find most tires have a 17" size. Lots of good options for you at that size. But hey, that's just my opinion, man.
This is my train of thought, but he asked. :lol:

Hey @Phildoh what's up?
With 3.5" BS steel wheels or greater will work with a bit of grinding.
A 38.5" STL SX would look awesome!

Almost tucked in 35s... 80 series need feedback.
That's the goal! So would a 2.5" BS wheel clear without any problems you think? If that's the case, I'll ha e my guy order one up and I can test fit it.

Already on 17x9's with 37x13.50's. the size tire I want is only available in two tread patterns, one being of the type of tread design I'm looking for, but I've never liked Irok's! "Most" tires for a 17" rim jump from 37" to 40" and I don't want 40's for occasional DD duties/driving to the trailhead when most trails I run are about 3-4hrs from my house! Yes, there are some 38/38.5's for 17" wheels, but not what I'm really looking for. I'm also asking about the backspacing in the OP because I won't grind my calipers. If I have to go with a 2.5"BS and then add a half inch spacer I'm ok with that. I won't compromise braking abilities just for wheels. Thanks for the heads up though!

Down here in OZ, all models pre 8/92 had 15 inch wheels. Smaller brakes all around (Drum rear on DX models). I just did a larger brake upgrade so know how all this works. The problem you will have will be on the back wheels, the caliper will rub (assuming you have the larger brakes already). You can grind down the caliper slightly to clear (not reccomended) or if you use -44 rims they will clear the caliper. The front will have no problems fitting inside a 15 inch rim Hope this helps.
-44, correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a 1.75"BS? Closer to 2"? I wonder if 2.5" would work? Great info, thanks!

On 37's now, and want to set up my rig to clear the 38's in mind, when doing the suspension switcheroo in a few weeks!
Screenshot_20170316-000444.png

Or you could get a set of JDM rear disks/calipers that fit on FF axles...15's will clear those too.

A 2.5" BS for sure.
That will be a reverse out wheel.
Just order a cheap steel version for like $70 to make sure though.
What tires are you wanting to go with?

If you are selling you rims... I might be intrested in yours.

My wheels now are 3.5"BS fwiw, and pretty heavy with the rock rings (1/4" thick).
My buddy can order a wheel for mock-up purposes and he'll cover the freight as long as I buy a set in the end. Tires as mentioned above, tsl/sx, 38.5/14.50 is what I want to run. Had them on every rig I've ever owned except my FJC, and other than the first couple minutes on a cold morning (gotta get them bias plys warmed up and stretched out a bit), they've always been great for my needs. Some people hate them, I love them.

My wheels now are 3.5"BS fwiw, and pretty heavy with the rock rings (1/4" thick).
My buddy can order a wheel for mock-up purposes and he'll cover the freight as long as I buy a set in the end. Tires as mentioned above, tsl/sx, 38.5/14.50 is what I want to run. Had them on every rig I've ever owned except my FJC, and other than the first couple minutes on a cold morning (gotta get them bias plys warmed up and stretched out a bit), they've always been great for my needs. Some people hate them, I love them.
This will be sick looking.
I love it when 80 series owner go outside the normal box.
I cant wait to see those huge lug tires sticking way out of those wheel wells.

I've seen a few mentions of it, and know there's clearance issues when it comes to the calipers. Does anyone have a link to a good thread covering this topic? I did a couple searches and didn't find much directly related to this mod. As part of my overall goal, part of it includes a specific tire, and the size is only in 15". Maybe this can be the thread to cover this topic?! Please, if you have done this swap, have info, links or anything related, by all means chime in and have at it! I really want to run them, and the given tire (you're all going to wanna know, it's of the Interco variety, and a 38.5x14.50r15) and need the info to get the wheels to clear. Heck, if the right wheel spacers do the trick then that's an option. I'd rather shy away from them with tires that size, but if it's the only way/easiest bang for the buck, then so be it. Please, chime in!
P

Hey Im in the same boat, did you ever figure out an easy way to do this? Hoping it can be achieved with just a certain combination of wheel width, BS and a spacer. Im trying to run a TSL/SX2 in certain size that is a load range C in 15" and an E in 16", I want to run the C.

EDIT: Ahhh never mind, Im ditching the idea. Im just struggling to figure out exactly which tire I want to run on the trail, and Ive got sets of steely wheels in 15, 16 and 17 so Im considering all options. Will be running radials on stock wheels on the street.

Last edited:
I am kind of in the same boat. My ‘97 has a ~4” lift on paper (850J/860X) and PO put 35” on these unknown rims. My friend/mechanic who’s helping me fix the lift and other mods/fixes (and has a ton of experience building off road rigs) looked at my current setup and recommended getting wheels with more clearance since he thought the current ones will rub when pushed.

I searched around and narrowed down to steel wheels with fake beadlocks (apparently the fake rings are worth having to save the rim from side impacts).

I am trying to decide between two US Wheel models:
15x10, 3.75” bs, -44mm offset - Model: 046-5060
17x9, 3.5” bs, -38mm offset - Model 046-8960

The 15” are $50 cheaper per piece and the 35” KO2 tires I am looking at are also $50 cheaper than the 17” ones. So on a set of 5, I save about $500. On paper, the 15” will also have more sidewall so I am leaning towards the 15” setup.

Wondering if someone can comment on fit and suitability. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom