15" Wheel Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All

OK - So I have gone through all of the standard problems trying to find 15" wheels that will work with my 32x11.5x15 tires on my FJ62.

Here is what I have found:

Steel wheels are a crap shoot. Some people get lucky, some dont and it all depends on the original manufacturer - not the re-seller. I have tried THREE different types of wheels. The first were 15x8 with 3.5 inch backspacing wagon wheels American Racing, and the ribs on the backside of the cutouts rubbed on the calipers. Sent em back.

Next were wagon wheels bought from MAF 15x8 3.5inch backspace. They "said they would work". They even said that they did a dry fit with a 62 they had inthe shop! I had high hopes, the backsides were smooth, but the angle on the cone was not great enough, and they rubbed on the caliper again - AARRGGHH I said and took out my 4.5inch angle grinder with a cut off disc and went to town on the calipers.

I need to put new calipers on the truck, and really dont want to grind - heat up - new ones, so I was all excited about the Rock Crawler series 97 posts listed here. Being smart, I only ordered ONE from 4wheel parts. Arrived last night, opened the box and the cutouts in the wheel have ridges in them!!!!!!!!! Put it on, and it rubbed. Much cursing...much beer to drown my sorrow.

OK - so now I am frustrated. If anyone has steel or alloy wheels (15x8 3.5inch backspace) - other than the ones listed above - that FIT without spacers please post the exact model number. I find it interesting that all my problems are caliper rub, and that would always rub regardless of backspanging due to the angle or construction of the wheel cone.

This has been asked so much, I would have thought that it would be in the sticky, but it wasn't there, so I apologize for asking again.

Much appreciated. Have a good supabowl weekend!

-Jack
89 FJ62 with too much money "invested" (I just love how people say they "invest" in their cars - I should be rich by now!)

Have you thought about stock wheels?

I bought five 15x8" steel rims from Summit, with a 2" backspacing. They drop-shipped them straight from the manufacturer, US Wheel, and they came raw (had them powdercoated the OEM gray). Fit great, look great. Five rims shipped were $278. Holes are the common "wagon wheel" triangles with rounded corners.
sliders (small).jpg

I purchased some wheels through www.fj60.com. It was over a year ago and I don't see them on his web site, so maybe he doesn't sell them any more. The vendor is MRW (marsh racing wheel). They are 15x8 w/ 3.5" back spacing. The holes in the rim are cut, not stamped, so there is no lip to rub on the caliper. I've been told you can also get a custom backspace white spoke wheel from US wheel through Summit Racing. Here's a pic of the wheels I got from FJ60.com/MRW
mrw wheel.JPG

Just ordered the same from Summit last week with 3.25" BS - work great on my 40 (same issue as 62 w/ 3.5"). Call summit (1-800-230-3030) and ask for USW-84-15x8-CUST, 6 on 5.5 with a 3 1/4" BS ... $36.95 ea.

Only problem is you gotta get them powder coated ...

Tucker

If you want steel then go the summit route. Been discussed here and pirate tons of times.

89s rule said:
If you want steel then go the summit route. Been discussed here and pirate tons of times.

All

Thanks for the info! Just to note, for the problems with all three wheels I have tried to date has not been the backspacing. The rubbing is caused by the angle of the wheel cone. No matter what the backspanging was, they would hav still rubbed.

Anyway, the summit wheels look like a good deal...I will check them out! I will also look into the FJ60 route as well.

I am not 100% demanding steel, but it seems the most economical if you can find the damned things that will fit.

I would do stock, but my tires I have right now, wont fit - well at least according to the manufacturer.

Thanks again, have a good supabowl sunday.

Jack

Exiled said:
I bought five 15x8" steel rims from Summit, with a 2" backspacing. They drop-shipped them straight from the manufacturer, US Wheel, and they came raw (had them powdercoated the OEM gray). Fit great, look great. Five rims shipped were $278. Holes are the common "wagon wheel" triangles with rounded corners.

Got the same rims from the same place. They work good and I have smacked the crap out of them on rocks.

I have heard the same issue about it not being backspacing. I do no tknow how close your was but alot of rims have to be ground just a little (the lips of the pumched holes) or the caliper as stated.

I think the reason the summit / US wheels work is b/c you get them as a reversed rim.

Followed Tucker's instructions

3 1/4 Bs...only ordered 1 so we will see in a week or so if they work.

I will keep you all updated.

On another note, what should I expect to pay for power coating?

THanks

Jack

Do you have the stock steelys? Im running 32 11/50 15s on stock rims no lift no rub what so ever even at full stuff.
This is my 62 sorry for img size.
P1010037.jpg

I stuffed them next day as far as they could go. If it was 12/50 wide i be rubbin in back wheelwells . But i crawled under looked had half inch to spare.

Got the US Wheel ordered from Summit last night. Unfortunately I got home too late to do a dry fit, but on inspection of the wheel, the back of the D slots in the wheel cone have a little ridge....

My gut says "here we go again". Lets see....

Jack

did some diggin' for ya'...

So, Here in CO we have tires stores called Big O. I just went down there and said...I need another one of "these". They ordered it up and fits fine.

The brand is "Unique", they are 15x8 Chrome 8 spoke (look almost exactly like stock), and have a3.75" bS. $59.95

PN: 27-5860 I'm not sure if that's their PN or Unique's.

They're good guys down there, if you want, I can give you their number

HTH - good luck!

perfect. i've found my new wheels. thanks for posting that up cardinal!

Put a fork in me....

Well, as I suspected, the new rim from Summit (special ordered per spec above) rubbed on the caliper.

I am thinking - I wonder if the PO did a brake job, replaced the regular TOY calipers with some NAPA part and the dimensions are different?

Anyone want/need a Summit 3.25 bs 15x8 rim (needs to be powder coated)?

I think I am going to get new Calipers and just grind em, and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions...

-Jack

As stated on many threads you have to grind some of the rims or calipers a little.

Were the summit ones reversed? @ 3.25 BS I would not think so. Most people who order them get them with 2.5 BS and reversed. I know this has been discussed tons of times on here as far as what will go and what wont.

As far as your calipers being stock or not, why not post up some pictures?

I ground my calipers and it has been like that for ages and works fine. You only need to take a little off. The other option is a cheap set of 1/4" wheel spacers which should also do the trick. Bummer you have tried all of these optioned when grinding really isn't that bad an option in my opinion. The heat issue does suck though and of course I was a little worried that I would go through when I first did it but there is a lot of meat there. At least with the OEM calipers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom