1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15" wheel on FZJ80?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by trailcarnage, Feb 15, 2004.

1. trailcarnage

trailcarnage

I am putting my rear buggy axle together today. When I went to install the rear wheels onto the axle I found that the caliper hits. DOH! It looks like a little grinding will cure the problem. I just wanted to confirm that this can be done before I waste my time.

They are 15x8" wheels and the WMS is 3/4" off-center of the rim. Any guidence would be gladly appreciatted!

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

They might fit with some grinding. There have been a few folks on this board that have done it. MrBryan has, for sure.

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    You would need to grind on the rear calipers for certain........

Before you do so, I would recommend you get in touch with Christo BEFORE you start. He will have some insight.

If you get carried away and grind off a bit too much............ :whoops: I know where you can get new calipers.... :rolleyes:

4. trailcarnage

trailcarnage

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=11551;start=msg105276#msg105276 date=1076883457]
    You would need to grind on the rear calipers for certain........

Before you do so, I would recommend you get in touch with Christo BEFORE you start. He will have some insight.

If you get carried away and grind off a bit too much............ :whoops: I know where you can get new calipers.... :rolleyes:
    [/quote}

Get carried away? Who me? Never... :D

I will try that. I hope he has a chance to respond promptly. I proceeded to weld on my beadlocks. Now I am pretty much commited. Or mzybe I should be? ???[/quote]

5. Mr.Bryan

Mr.Bryan

Yea, I done dooed it. Grinding them down isnt too hard a thing, just be very cautious. Keep a wheel there so you can take a little off, and check to make sure it fits. Once it does, stop. My only uncertainly about having smaller wheels on the vehicle is heat dissapation. I only use the 15" wheels for wheeling. I dont use them for daily driving so if your in alot of stop and go traffic, it may be bad for the brakes. But, yea, if its for just offroad, then its all good. Oh for referance, I took off about 1/4 inch from the top of the caliper. I've not had any reprocutions from this and I did it about 9 mo. ago.

Good luck

-Bryan

6. Junk

Junk

Trailcarnage,
    I talked to Christo about this and decided against it. At this point, I may be moving to 17" rims, but would definitely grind just to fit 15's on. Why do you need 15"?

7. trailcarnage

trailcarnage

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=11551;start=msg105435#msg105435 date=1076899986]
    Trailcarnage,
    I talked to Christo about this and decided against it. At this point, I may be moving to 17" rims, but would definitely grind just to fit 15's on. Why do you need 15"?
    [/quote]

Junk,

The reason that I am going to run 15's is for the tire selction. As I stated before, this is a competition buggy. I will see minimal on-road usage. I am just trying to be sure that it will be safe on the trail.

I checked out the area that I will have to grind thoroughly. This area is very significant to the strength of the caliper structure, but I thinl for a 5 MPH or less vehicle it will be safe. I will stiil have more cross-section on the rear caliper than a Samuari. Not to mention that the rear brakes wlll be taking minimal loads.As we all know that is the nature or rear brakes. What does it run? 60/40 or 70/30?

8. Junk

Junk

I've heard some quote the ratio as 70/30 (F/R) or as 80/20. Is this truly a buggy (went to your site to see and couldn't find pics) or an 80 that's been buggified? Reason I ask is the weight. The weight on an 80, on grinded down calipers, in a comp type trail could be tough on it. If it's a buggy, weighing in at 3,800 lbs or so, then it may not be that significant.

Also if it's an 80 that's been buggified, are you sure you want 15" tires? You could get a lot of roll with that versus like 17".

Just asking so we can give you a better answer.

9. trailcarnage

trailcarnage

10. inacoma

inacoma

I ground on my rear calipers, ran 15" rims...worked well...looked stupid (now I have stock 16" with 35" trxus :))

but looks are not what you are interested in. it works, doesn't take much grinding...my truck still stops :)

Kumar

11. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

I have clearanced a few calipers over the years on various vehicles, never had a problem.

One thing to consider pertaining to to wheel diameter, is that larger wheels have more bead to hold a tire. This is one of the reasons I lean towards larger wheels these days. A 15" has approx. 47" of bead contact, 16" has 50" and a 17" has about 53". :cheers:

12. trailcarnage

trailcarnage

Kumar-Thanks for the confirmation. That is on my to-do list for tonight.

bjowett-I appreciate what you are saying about the surface area but I already have a set of beadlock wheel. They have about 34 suare inches of sealing surface. Jumping up in size also limits my tire selection not to mention that the 15" wheel will allow for more tire flex.

13. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

Yeah, beadlocks make it a moot point.... plus bigger wheels = $$$

Good luck with it!

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">