15+ MPG now ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here in Colorado, I figure that the winter blend is usually a 10-15% drop in gas mileage on any of my vehicles. My bone stock 99 LC100 w/Michelin LTX MS tires averages around 15 MPG (50/50 city/highway). On a round trip from Denver to Glenwood Springs last summer, I averaged 19 MPG both ways. One reason we get fairly good gas mileage in Colorado is the altitude. You lose about 3% oxygen for every 1000 feet of elevation so the computers reduce the fuel input by about 15% in and around Denver (you also lose the equivalent amount of power).

...One reason we get fairly good gas mileage in Colorado is the altitude. You lose about 3% oxygen for every 1000 feet of elevation...

I think the air density is the bigger factor, reducing air resistance at speed.

I just got my '06 LC (stock, BFG All-Terrain T/A) and I'm averaging 11.5 in mixed driving so I definitely got some tuning to do. Just cleaned the MAF and inflated the tires (one front was at 25 psi). I'm running 38 Fr 41 Rr PSI as of last night.

It seems that changing the pre-cat O2 sensors may make the biggest difference. Old O2 sensors respond slowly (they get "lazy"), but that doesn't set off any codes. My truck is at 13 years and 122k miles so it must be time for the O2's.

When I had my LC I drove from PA to VA about 180 miles and got 18.1 MPG including some light traffic. Mind you I went about 60MPH the whole time, sometimes 55, sometimes 70. Best combined driving I could ever muster was 14mpg combined city/hwy 20 miles a day roundtrip. Always fed it 93 octane

Just did my first 100 miles checking fuel use. Mixed city and highway (crap L.A. traffic). I calculated just a hair under 12 mpg. 2006 L.C.

Today I realized that I had overlooked that my tires are not stock size. I'm running 275/70-18, stock was 275/60-18. If it hasn't been corrected, that would account for the mileage reading 7% low. Diameter of these tires with full tread is 33.2 in.

Thinking the O2 sensors might have to be done. Getting a new air filter tomorrow.

Damn my 2007 is is pulling 15-16l per 100km. That equals 17-18.5mpg. Not great but it could be a lot worse. I have to baby it though and be a conscious cruiser quick to speed and and slowly glide.

my fuelly log shows me at 13.1, the last fillup was by far the worse at 12.3. I am on 20s with K02 285/55s, and a thule cargo box on my roof so I know there is loss there.

Topography has a lot to do with your mileage too, if you live in a hilly area expect that number to dip. On flat roads cruising down to Florida i can avg like 16mpg on 34's, sliders, roof rack, drawers unit with 400 lbs of cargo. When i head west to Kentucky, i get 12mpg on the highway from the up and down mountainous road.

Man, I wish I could get 14 to 15. I do mixed driving to work on 93 octane....13 mpg. Do highway driving at 55 to 60 with 89 octane.....get 12.5 mpg : /

this is all flat roads in Florida. 33" tires

Man, I wish I could get 14 to 15. I do mixed driving to work on 93 octane....13 mpg. Do highway driving at 55 to 60 with 89 octane.....get 12.5 mpg : /

this is all flat roads in Florida. 33" tires
Don't feel bad, My rig with 91 Octane get 12-13MPG mix driving, 58-62MPH on the freeway, I try to keep it under 2k RPM. 33" tires too, and a Yakima roof rack.

You guys are ballers, i've been using 87 is what my cruisers ever saw, close to 20 years now. No need to run higher than that, maybe run a bottle of injector cleaners through it every few months.

The engines don’t require the higher octane. Toyota’s take recommend 87 Lexus recommendation is 91 or 93.

The reason I think the Lexus is rated at
Slightly higher horse power.

87 is all my rig will ever see

The engines don’t require the higher octane. Toyota’s take recommend 87 Lexus recommendation is 91 or 93.

Yeah mine is an LX. I tried the mid grade 89 to see if I saw a difference. Haven't tried 87 yet, but the PO told me he got about 50 more miles per tank with 93. After noticing the 0.5 mpg drop off with mid grade I believe him.

I believe the minimum required octane varies throughout the year model. I put whatever the owner's manual tells me for my 2000, which is 91+.

I believe the minimum required octane varies throughout the year model. I put whatever the owner's manual tells me for my 2000, which is 91+.
I swear to god on any Uzfe it really doesn’t matter.

I have a old 1990 ls400 1uzfe that says premium and it gets regular. It’s fine.

I also have the lx470 with the 2uzfe that says premium and it gets regular. It’s fine.

The engine won’t explode or s*** itself because of lower octane. Hell they tune these engines in the worst conditions possible.

That being said higher octane gas has more energy therefore more efficient therefore better mpg and reduced chance of knocking not that it’s going for happen.

So if your gas is similarly priced grab what ever one is most economical for mileage to dollar

I think the UZ engines have a sweet spot between 2100 and 2500rpm. If I keep my GS400 in that range, which means 70-75mph, I can get 29mpg. Done it multiple times. Pretty good for a twenty-year-old truck engine cruise missile.

I think the UZ engines have a sweet spot between 2100 and 2500rpm. If I keep my GS400 in that range, which means 70-75mph, I can get 29mpg. Done it multiple times. Pretty good for a twenty-year-old truck engine cruise missile.
For sure. There is a sweet spot where I get great mileage. The trick is never accelerate again and coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom