14” shocks & towers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who has replaced there shock towers & run a 14” shock? My 10” Fox shocks are 4” too short. A 12” may do the trick, but it will be really close. I’d almost rather plan on replacing the shock tower & going to a 14.

94 land cruiser
Dobinsons VR 2.5” springs
Delta 3”L radius arms
Bumpers & gear
A42AE3CD-FCAB-48E0-ABBD-9206BFDEA648.jpeg

me! Also have pics and a variety of CAD files. I think maybe page 6 or 7 in the build thread has some pics.

Oh, I also have a bunch of the lower "pins" like on page 7, which are "weld in" for the lower end of the fox shocks.

(edit its the link on my signature line at bottom)

double edit: After I built my shock towers I did an assortment of files for shock tower heights/options and ordered the lower pins. These towers are designed for a stud style top. If anyone is on the hunt for a specific height feel free to reach out. I can get these cut locally or get you a file to order from whatever waterjet or laser cutting shop is nearest you. Here's the file menu for those with different heights but I can probably give you a hand with something different or custom:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Last edited:
me! Also have pics and a variety of CAD files. I think maybe page 6 or 7 in the build thread has some pics.

Oh, I also have a bunch of the lower "pins" like on page 7, which are "weld in" for the lower end of the fox shocks.

(edit its the link on my signature line at bottom)

double edit: After I built my shock towers I did an assortment of files for shock tower heights/options and ordered the lower pins. These towers are designed for a stud style top. If anyone is on the hunt for a specific height feel free to reach out. I can get these cut locally or get you a file to order from whatever waterjet or laser cutting shop is nearest you. Here's the file menu for those with different heights but I can probably give you a hand with something different or custom:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Can you provide an already existing file you might have for say, a 12" shock?

I just put in some Dobinsons VR springs. They out flex my 10” FOX shocks by 4”. They really have a lot of travel.

Old & new. That’s a 2.5” Dobinsons spring next to a 2” Ironman. The 2.5’s defiantly have more lift than the 2’s but not as much as you would think looking at these springs. Under the weight of the vehicle those tightly wound coils are nearly completely compressed.

EE372A2E-C751-4D1B-B8B0-ED214E88B337.jpeg

B676A3AD-E435-480A-AC8C-2DE4EE7EFCFA.jpeg

I’m going to give a 12” Fox a shot before I cut up my shock towers. Either it is going to be “just right” or it’s going to fall short. Per my measurements it’s going to be damn close.

0FCBC054-54B0-4EE4-B2B7-BA5578460CF8.png

Can you provide an already existing file you might have for say, a 12" shock?
Yes and no...

I have a bunch of files. but not sure what the stock height of shock tower would be as mine is so heavily modded, and the old shock towers arent available, nor do I know anyone with a stock 80 to get measurements.

If you have a measurement for your existing tower, and know how much longer you want it to be, then you can give me a number for which I can give you a file.

Actually I can send both a CAD dwg or dxf file and a pdf, then you can print the pdf to scale on a large sheet of paper, and then transfer to a piece of cardboard for a protoype to verify.

Also, simply asking for a shock tower that will work for a 12" travel shock has a bunch of variables that you will need to figure out, based on lift height etc. Its easier for me if you supply height from frame rail to the bottom edge of the top of the shock tower (mounting surface of shock stud)

If you want a couple to work with or get started on I can send that.

I understand that possibly to figure all that out you may need to cut the tower off, cycle suspension and then get measurements. If you got a local waterjet/plasma table guy that has pretty decent turn over times for cutting, and can bend the metal, I can get a file to you within about a day, so you might be able to get measurements and a part within a couple days after you've started dissasembly. Just give me a heads up for when your doing this.

I can measure my towers & post. The tricky part about this is ride height vs suspension travel vs shock length. It’s going to be different for every rig. That is why I’m leaning toward a 14” shock. Gives a guy a little lead way should some other variable change.

Yes and no...

I have a bunch of files. but not sure what the stock height of shock tower would be as mine is so heavily modded, and the old shock towers arent available, nor do I know anyone with a stock 80 to get measurements.

If you have a measurement for your existing tower, and know how much longer you want it to be, then you can give me a number for which I can give you a file.

Actually I can send both a CAD dwg or dxf file and a pdf, then you can print the pdf to scale on a large sheet of paper, and then transfer to a piece of cardboard for a protoype to verify.

Also, simply asking for a shock tower that will work for a 12" travel shock has a bunch of variables that you will need to figure out, based on lift height etc. Its easier for me if you supply height from frame rail to the bottom edge of the top of the shock tower (mounting surface of shock stud)

If you want a couple to work with or get started on I can send that.

I understand that possibly to figure all that out you may need to cut the tower off, cycle suspension and then get measurements. If you got a local waterjet/plasma table guy that has pretty decent turn over times for cutting, and can bend the metal, I can get a file to you within about a day, so you might be able to get measurements and a part within a couple days after you've started dissasembly. Just give me a heads up for when your doing this.

Makes perfect sense.

I just figured I'd opt for a 12" shock, and nothing longer for the sake of being able to find appropriately sized coils to boot.

Would be going through ADS as they build shocks per customer requests.

Will need some time to measure so thanks for keeping the offer up! I have my own cnc plasma cutter at home and use SolidWorks or Fusion360 for my CAD work.

Makes perfect sense.

I just figured I'd opt for a 12" shock, and nothing longer for the sake of being able to find appropriately sized coils to boot.

Would be going through ADS as they build shocks per customer requests.

Will need some time to measure so thanks for keeping the offer up! I have my own cnc plasma cutter at home and use SolidWorks or Fusion360 for my CAD work.

And if someone gets these measurements before me, I'd be happy to cut said parts out for simply the cost of material and shipping.

Ok, attached is a pdf of the 8" version, it should measure 8" (203.8mm) from the fold line on the top piece, to the top of frame rail.

You might get it to print out close to what your looking for on a 11x17" sheet of paper. You may have to play with a printer and the scale size and tape together a couple pieces of paper a few times to get the scale right for it is a template to start with. I highly suggest printing it out early and we can refine a file over a couple revisions for your needs to get it precise.

We can whatever we want to the file, i can throw a TEQ logo or something in there as a cutout window, I have shorter length files and can mod it for taller. If you want a cutout window in a certain position or shifted to access bolts to a steering box or something now is a good time to think about it.

There is a ring in the center, in the pdf and file that is to double up the material for the throat of the bushing on the top cap of the bracket.

1679069004792.png

Your probably best to get the lift coils in, and maybe bumpstops then flex it out (got a fork lift?) and then get clearance needed for a compressed 14" or 12" travel shock.

Attachments

• 8.0H 4.75 eyelet-ISO A1 Layout.pdf
    4.2 KB · Views: 26
Ok, attached is a pdf of the 8" version, it should measure 8" (203.8mm) from the fold line on the top piece, to the top of frame rail.

You might get it to print out close to what your looking for on a 11x17" sheet of paper. You may have to play with a printer and the scale size and tape together a couple pieces of paper a few times to get the scale right for it is a template to start with. I highly suggest printing it out early and we can refine a file over a couple revisions for your needs to get it precise.

We can whatever we want to the file, i can throw a TEQ logo or something in there as a cutout window, I have shorter length files and can mod it for taller. If you want a cutout window in a certain position or shifted to access bolts to a steering box or something now is a good time to think about it.

There is a ring in the center, in the pdf and file that is to double up the material for the throat of the bushing on the top cap of the bracket.

View attachment 3274775

Your probably best to get the lift coils in, and maybe bumpstops then flex it out (got a fork lift?) and then get clearance needed for a compressed 14" or 12" travel shock.

Got the DXF for this?

An 80 with stock leading arm set up can’t come close to using all of the variable rate spring nor a 14” shock in real world, on the trail scenarios.

Without going to a 3 link you’ll be lucky to use an entire 12” shock.

This thread is progressing as if this subject is uncharted territory and all the info pertaining to stock 80’s doesn’t already exist on Mud.

Taking info from those who do run a 3 link will lead you down the wrong path.

An 80 with stock leading arm set up can’t come close to using all of the variable rate spring nor a 14” shock in real world, on the trail scenarios.

This thread is progressing as if this subject is uncharted territory and all the info pertaining to stock 80’s doesn’t already exist on Mud.

Cool, what is your suggestion for the OP?

edit, it sounds as though in the first post his travel contradicts your comment on 14" un-needed.

I am using a Delta radius arm & Dobinsons VR spring. Just as an initial test I unbolted the 10” shocks & let the suspension droop. Shocks were 4” short.

This is my current Fox shock. This may not be new territory & Im sure some have discussed. But for the sake of keeping fresh info coming in on the forum. I think it’s worth a revisit. Besides I think the Dobinsons springs bring a capability to the table that has not always been an option.

784FDD4E-8604-466C-BFA5-CE6BDF1808D8.jpeg

I am using a Delta radius arm & Dobinsons VR spring. Just as an initial test I unbolted the 10” shocks & let the suspension droop. Shocks were 4” short.
The only time your axle will drop out fully is when you jump the rig completely off the ground. That’s why I said “ in real world, on trail scenarios.

I run Dobinson 3.5” taper coils with 1” spacer on to totaling almost 5” lift and what’s referred to as a 6” lift shock made by Ironman (a 12” shock). My Delta arms do allow more articulation than wider stock arms but still don’t max out the springs even in the worst rock crawling situations. The radius arms simply won’t allow it.

This is nothing new and has been studied and discussed in depth here.

Lots of reading here and more to be searched out:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom