13mm x 1.25 pitch lug nut studs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

73FJ40

After another night of rust removal!
SILVER Star
Threads
I have a spare tire carrier frame with 13mm x 1.25 pitch lug nut studs. Could someone clue me in as to years and models this may have been used for?

Thanks!

13mm spare tire frame.jpg

I'm thinking they replaced the the lugs with what the hardware store had in stock. May have been a higher grade bolt than what was available in stock size. I have a few of these with a broken lug. The lugs were not bigger earlier. That style carrier is newer anyway. The older style was not raised by the lug but had a fender washer welded to the plate. Up to the mid sixties the lug nuts used a 23MM wrench instead of 21MM but thread and pitch were the same.

If I had to guess I would say this style tire carrier started with the 72 model year. The main carrier was lighter with stamped ribs for strength. Dug up a picture of my 2/73 FST. It has this style and painted pewter. The ones with the heavy plate with no ribs used the style with the welded fender washer for a spacer. The style you have was only used 72-76. The lug sizes was the same before, during and after this period. Why they were changed who knows but they were.
0030.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom