13BT rebuild shops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what shops have experience with rebuilding a 13BT in the US? Looking for a top notch shop.

A starting place might be some of the shops experienced in Cruisers. They might be able share advice or possibly help with your rebuild needs.

Marshall @ Trollhole is just outside Greenville
Peter @ Merriam Auto is in metro Atlanta
Brian @ ACC is in metro Atlanta (FYI, ACC is probably not taking on any new diesel projects but they have experience and knowledge from prior projects)
Rob @ OddIron is in south Georgia

Good luck

Agreed, the 13BT is a very simple engine. It's very similar to an Isuzu 4BD series. If they are familiar with that, they can easily rebuild a 13BT. I went through this last year. You can check my signature link to see my rebuild process and what I went through.

What you need to do is find a highly reputable shop, preferably diesel. Pretty much any machine shop can rebuild an engine, you have the specs to it. It's whether they spend the time to do it right and not take shortcuts to make a quick buck.
There are a lot of specs that have to be right to be rebuilt correctly and not cause issues sooner or later down the line.

Liner protrusion
Sleeve/block clearance

are a couple that some shops tend to overlook that can have some bad consequences.

If they cant rebuild any B or H diesel, they probably cant rebuild anything. And it should take days, not weeks and months if they have the parts and specs.

Looking for a top notch shop

My advice would be to look for someone who can do the machining and rebuild.
And you have to ask the the hard questions, like "How many diesels rebuilds have you done and do you see any likely problems with a Toyota B diesel?"
I would probably track down my own engine kit so you know whats going in there.
A lot of shops who do marine diesels for 40ft-50ft sailboats do engines this size. Perkins Isuzu Kubota are not too different . SC being on the coast should have plenty of these
Pulling the engine and replacing it will save you a lot of $$$

A starting place might be some of the shops experienced in Cruisers. They might be able share advice or possibly help with your rebuild needs.

Marshall @ Trollhole is just outside Greenville
Peter @ Merriam Auto is in metro Atlanta
Brian @ ACC is in metro Atlanta (FYI, ACC is probably not taking on any new diesel projects but they have experience and knowledge from prior projects)
Rob @ OddIron is in south Georgia

Good luck
I got in touch with OddIron, and he’s very comfortable with the job, just back logged. Thanks for the tip!

Just another thought, not sure if or how much you have out there, but if you have Crop Irrigation/Well pivots, a lot of those are controlled by small diesel engines, mainly the Isuzu 4BD, which my machine shop guy say is very similar to the 13BT. Maybe you can find a well place and info about who they use to rebuild those diesels or ag equipment?

The 13BT is a pretty easy engine for any decent shop to work on.

Pulling the engine and replacing it will save you a lot of $$$

^^^^^^
This is a very wise recommendation

+ you will be able to figure out if you need to replace other peripheral parts of the engine or determine their general condition.

I should also say source the Factory Service manual for your engine to be able to provide to them. They are not going to find one and that way you get things set up to the right specs.

I would rather bring them an operational-battle ready photocopy of it.
The original belongs to the precious books of my bookshelf, Lol!

====
1984 BJ42 frame-off restored, factory 5 spd tranny
1983 BJ45 resto project, factory P/S

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom