13BT oil pressure sender.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Man was that ever a fun one. stuffed between the engine mount and the A/C compressor bracket.......:crybaby:

3 hours and two custom-made wrenches later:hillbilly: I finally got it done.

That is one of the nastiest small jobs I have ever encountered. :ban:

At least now the guage registers.....:lol: I guess it was worth it.

I hear you, at least you had a happy ending, with your gauge activated & working again, after my battle with the sender, it was evident the gauge is kaput !!

Man was that ever a fun one. stuffed between the engine mount and the A/C compressor bracket.......:crybaby:

Curios how high on the stock gauge does it register now? Have you ever done a true oil pressure reading for comparison?

Curios how high on the stock gauge does it register now? Have you ever done a true oil pressure reading for comparison?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I would be curious to know that also.
Mine has never read more than half scale and drops to about 1/4 scale ( hot - idle )

All the diesels are running the same oil pressure so other engines show the same reading on the gauge.
I've had 3 x 1HZ and 12HT and they all went to 3/4 when cold and sat about halfway when warm .At idle they sit about 1/4

I ignore the gauge markings because they are not regular and just watch where the needle sits in relation to low and high.

I gotta do the same do you happen to have the part no. my gauge is not showing anything :(

I gotta do the same do you happen to have the part no. my gauge is not showing anything :(

The part number for my 13BT 24volt is 83520-60020. Presumably this number (based on my limited 35 year experience with Toyota) should be correct for any 24 volt vehicle.

Before replacement the gauge would register ~4 needle widths above the low mark with an ice cold motor and ~2 needle widths with a hot motor. Engine speed made no difference.
After sender replacement the gauge reads well above half way with a cold motor and ~3 needle widths (at idle) with a hot motor. In addition the gauge actually moves when engine RPM is increased.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I would be curious to know that also.
Mine has never read more than half scale and drops to about 1/4 scale ( hot - idle )

Based on how difficult it was to replace the sender one would have to want to know really badly what a mechanical gauge reads. Had the replacement sender not solved my "problem" I would have gone to that level but I Am VERRY HAPPY that I did not end up doing so.

There is an additional challenge that needs to be considered. The OEM thread spec is 1/8 inch BRITISH PIPE THREAD and most of the rest of us use 1/8th inch NPT thread. It takes an act of GOD to get a male 1/8 inch NPT fitting into A 1/8 inch British Pipe Thread hole. The only way (that I have been able to figure out) to accomplish that is to use a 1/8 inch NPT tap and open-up the hole in the engine block far enough to accept an NPT fitting.

Before replacement the gauge would register ~4 needle widths above the low mark with an ice cold motor and ~2 needle widths with a hot motor. Engine speed made no difference.
After sender replacement the gauge reads well above half way with a cold motor and ~3 needle widths (at idle) with a hot motor. In addition the gauge actually moves when engine RPM is increased.

Ok good to know. The before reading is how mine has always read as well. In fact I had a mechanical reading done before buying it because I was worried. This has been on the to do list for a long time

Fitted a Auberin's oil pressure sender and digital gauge. Fitted sender into spare plug in filter housing and did'nt touch original oil sender.

My 13BT has excellent oil pressure too, up near 100psi cold, 40psi hot idle, 60-80 hot running last I remember.

Wow is it really close to 100 psi when cold? I don't think I have even seen anything higher then 80 in any diesel I have even used, including industrial or over the road semi's.

Wow is it really close to 100 psi when cold? I don't think I have even seen anything higher then 80 in any diesel I have even used, including industrial or over the road semi's.

According to my Isspro oil pressure gage, my 13bt operates almost identical to Hulsty's.

I posted this over on the 70's page too but someone might be looking here for help.
My original sender's negative terminal spade had broken off and the positive is very corroded.
I'll fit the new later today I hope.
For removal of sender:
I used a 14mm, crow's foot socket (3/8" drive). I had to deepen its reach by cutting into it with a cut-off wheel so it could get more firmly onto the sender's nut. In the photo below I removed metal to get closer to the letters CR-V.
I also reduced the diameter of a 3" extension just back of where the crow's foot was on: this let me get around the rim of the sender better.
After several false starts, I removed the sender by lying under the truck and using the wrench from below.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom