1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

13bt into 76 FJ40 challenges

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by siurana, Feb 22, 2007.

1. siurana

siurana

I am currently put a 13bt and h55 into my 76 FJ40.

To start with I have two questions.

In making the engine and transmission mounts with a buddy. We haven't been able to get the output flange directly inline with the differential flanges. So I'm no expert about driveshafts but I assume you need to get it as close to in-line with the diff flanges as possible.

We've moved the tranny/engine combination as far forward as I would like. The driveshafts have Ujoints on both ends, so I assume they are designed for both vertical and horizontal alignment differences. But how much and at what pitch should the drive shaft sit at? Any advice would be great. I know the pitch will also change once all the engine/tranny weight is on the frame.

Next problem, does anyone have any advice on hooking up an air filter for one of these. The 13bt is an 85, red block. I have an air filter setup from an 87 mini truck. But I see it has some kind of valve system with wiring on it before the air goes into the filter. Does anyone have any advice on the best setup for my situation? I will try to give G and S a call tomorrow.
    Thanks
    I posted this message in the FJ40 section as well.

2. rutbeer

rutbeer

Driveshafts need to be more in plane rather than in line. In other words, they can be offset to the side and up and down, but they need to be at the same angle from the ground and perpendicular to the frame. Don't worry so much about the front one as the rear. You can always put a CV joint on the front shaft to make up for a bad angle.

3. siurana

siurana

That make sense, I appreciate the advice. Any thought on the best set-up for an air intake.

4. rutbeer

rutbeer

Get a B series air cleaner or get a 70 series air cleaner that mounts on the passenger side. I suppose you could modify an early F air cleaner, but the B series will probably be the easiest. I have to look and see what I actually have....I haven't looked that close at it, but I think mine's a 70 series.