13bt head removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting into my first HG job with 13bt and was wondering if it’s possible to remove the head with the turbo and exhaust manifold attached?
I’m having a heck of a time getting the turbo to manifold and turbo to elbow nuts off without better leverage.

If so, is there anything in particular to watch out for? I’ve done several HG jobs on 2Fs before, so not completely a novice but this is my first time with a diesel.

It might be possible but the head itself is heavy as **** as it is. I use a stubby wrench on the 4 bolts that hold the turbo on and it helps. You can also fish it under for one I believe.

Thanks, I learned that one the hard way :bang:. I made a little ramp with some spare plywood and was able to 'walk' it out without damaging either surface. After a couple of days of penetrating oil and better leverage and I was able to separate the turbo from the manifold.

Is the head being resurfaced?

Is the head being resurfaced?
Yes. I’m having it freshened up and it looks like I’m going to have to resleeve or hone the block because there was some scoring on cylinder 4. So now I’m working on getting the block out of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom