13bt glow screen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi, i have just fitted a 13bt in my bj42 to replace the 3b , do i need the glow screen on cold start up ? i have not wired it up and its been ok but winter is on the way and i have early morning starts. thanks. warren.

My 12HT would start quite easy without a glow screen,however with winter coming on you may find your batteries are being sapped by longer cranking times.
I guess if you have a 2nd car ,you could always wait and see;)

I have not needed mine. There were one or two mornings that were below freezing where it took a little more effort, but really no more than a carb'd truck would in the same scenario.

Most damaging engine deposits are formed by unburned fuel on cold start. I use the glowscreen for every cold start, and preheat the engine and fuel system to at least 20°C for every cold start.
If the exhaust is smoking on cold start then engine deposits are forming.

thanks. How long would i need to glow it for on a 0c day ? is there a max time. i will just wire up a button like my 3b was.

thanks. How long would i need to glow it for on a 0c day ? is there a max time. i will just wire up a button like my 3b was.

You can get relays with adjustable timers,I think they go up to 10 seconds which would be enough.
You could probably turn it back to save battery power.

The max time is 14 sec for full power pre-heat, and then the glowscreen stays on at half power for another minute or so. I disconnected the plug at the temperature sensor so the pre-heat stays on for the full 14 sec or whatever I decide is long enough before I turn the key to start.

Clean start-up with little or no smoke is the key to long engine life.

Anybody have a wiring diagram for theirs? I run a 12v system, but the glow screen is 24v. I had heard of at least one guy just running 12v to one of the terminals, but I haven't felt comfortable experimenting with mine.

The max time is 14 sec for full power pre-heat, and then the glowscreen stays on at half power for another minute or so.

For those of us who have overridden the timer and sensor with a switch, any thoughts from anyone about the risk of leaving the heater after you start the engine - just to help things along until the engine gets up to temp?

Anybody have a wiring diagram for theirs? I run a 12v system, but the glow screen is 24v. I had heard of at least one guy just running 12v to one of the terminals, but I haven't felt comfortable experimenting with mine.

I run 12v to both terminals for the last three years, works just fine. takes a good 20 seconds for a good preheat.

You can safely undervolt DC items, but you can do damage when you have an over-voltage condition. If you supply 12V to the 24v heater grid, then the heater grid will draw double the current as compared to a 24V system Power(watts) = Voltage x Current(amps). Since the wattage of the heater grid is constant, and you've halved the voltage, then the current doubles, so use appropriate gauge cables.

For those of us who have overridden the timer and sensor with a switch, any thoughts from anyone about the risk of leaving the heater after you start the engine - just to help things along until the engine gets up to temp?

I use a momentary switch to trigger a heavy duty solenoid. After I have it started, I'll continue to hold for another cycle of 20 seconds on a really cold day. On a really cold start, I can decrease the amount of smoke if I continue to run the heater grid after the engine is started. If it is 40F or above, I really don't need it.

Last edited:
While reading this I was thinking that 2 x 12 volt batteries in parallel much like the BJ60 would give you the extra current which would require less glow time.

For those of us who have overridden the timer and sensor with a switch, any thoughts from anyone about the risk of leaving the heater after you start the engine
The factory timer keeps the screen on for about a minute at half power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom