13bt dies when hits boost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
had problems with getting vsv to turn off truck got it going with the 1 from ac and now when the truck hits boost it turns it self off

cheers hamish

Lowenbrau on this forum had this problem (I think) with his 13B-T.

PM his and see what he has to say.

How much boost are we talking here?

Sombody correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive there is a vacume line that comes off the rubber intake elbow that apparently will kill your engine if blocked, and too much boost (like 20psi) creates negitive pressure in the line that will give the same effect as a plugged line.

12psi boost even with the vsv disconnected it does it.
orginally i had a a bj70 landy with a 3b in it and i put the 13bt in it and it never turnd off by key because it was not hooked up and i had the vsv actuator on intake cable tied shut so it didnt do it now ive got a new cab that the 13bt came out in and all wiring is correct i have the vsv working when u shut key to off . but when driving it hits boost and pulls that actuator buttfly shut killing the engine

Boost compensator and vsv vacuum lines mixed up? There is a T in there somewhere. I'm grasping at straws here.

wats the boost compensator ? there is a tee in vacuum line from alternator to 4wd vsv and to shut down vsv i also have these we one way valve but unsure as to where they go.

How much boost are we talking here?

Sombody correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive there is a vacume line that comes off the rubber intake elbow that apparently will kill your engine if blocked, and too much boost (like 20psi) creates negitive pressure in the line that will give the same effect as a plugged line.

No there is nothing to kill the motor at high boost, well not upto 30psi anyway:cheers:

Possible bad vacuum pot, if I remember correctly the pot has a spring inside, the vacuum pulls the pot diaphram which moves the link arm shutting the intake butterfly shutting down the engine.
If I got this right, the spring could be broken, when the boost hits, the volume of air passing over the butterfly valve could over come the spring shutting it which shuts off the engine. I would check how much spring tension the pot has. Disconnect the lines and see how easy you can move the butterfly intake valve with your finger. A quick test is install a spring on the linkage which assists the spring return action holding the valve open and see if the problem goes away. You can gauge the vacuum pot ability to overcome the added spring by using a hand held vacuum pump like a mity vac, hook up your new spring, hook up the hand pump, pump the hand pump and see if you can move the total linkage/valve to the shut down position. If you can't it means the spring is to big, it should shut down the engine around 15 inches of mercury at the low end and 22 inches at the top end.
You can test the system the same way, hook up the hand pump and apply vacumm and see how much vacumm it takes to close the intake valve to the shut down position.
Hope this helps

Jim

A blocked air filter or air intake will cause this. The diaphragm that controls the shutdown has a hose that runs to the intake hose...

check your air cleaner and intake air ducting for obstructions.

~John

no obstructions in intake, and jake2far i will install another vacuum pot today and see wat it does i do have a vacuum line pluged up and that is the 1 for the air con because i dont have it anymore i wonder if that could be the problem?

A plugged air filter constitutes an obstructed intake.

Try disconnecting the vacuum line that runs from the air intake ducting between the air filter and the turbo inlet and see if that "solves" the problem. If it does, you have something obstructing air flow in the intake as a most likely cause.

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom