13BT alternator vs 2LT vs 22R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started thinking....and that's dangerous..... I have a 13B-T alternator that's 24volt, and I either need to swap a 12v unit with the vaccum pump, or swap to a different alt and use my mechanical vacuum pump. Well, looking at the parts diagrams, I think it's possible that you might be able to swap the stator and regulator out of another alt into the stock 13bt unit. According to the parts numbers, a 22R alt internals are the same (but in 12v). I can probably find one of these in a junkyard for $15, so it's worth a shot.
The other thing I noticed, was that the 1985 pickup 2LT turbo diesel alt is a dead ringer for the one I have. The price isn't too terrible, so if the parts swap doesn't work, then I guess this is a fall back. Here's a link to the napa one....and one of them even shows the vacuum pump on there for right around $200.
http://www.napaautoparts.com/master...8292&Description=Alternator+-+Remfd+-+Premium

Adding to my own post here....
I called the authority on this kind of thing and he said it was the rotor, not the stator that must be changed. That and the regulator, but all the rest of the parts could remain.
He also mentioned a swap that was interesting. He pulled a part from the shelf and said it should work, but that it had a larger vaccuum pump on it (better).
It's an Isuzu NPR 4bd1 alt for a 3.9L engine.
Isuzu number is 2-91276-300-0
Hitachi number LR180503B or C
Lester number 12235
His was $265 w/vac pump...kind of steep, but if it's a high output and vac that never breaks, it might be worth it.

Yeah, but I was looking for easy solutions in the states....not Canada.
If there's a cheap and easy fix for those people that want to convert the 24v JDM engines over to US friendly 12V, then I'm interested. So far, it's not cheap now matter how you tackle it.

Holy crap! So my alternator just failed, and I was confronted with zero inventory out there on my original option. I did a google search, and clicked on a link....and it was ME from 2006! That's hilarious. It's like back to the future where I see myself doing something stupid. hahaha.

Anyway, looks like the NPR option is about the only out there now. I'm going to order one and figure it out.

image-3719847288.jpg

Made up a new bracket for the NPR alternator. I would have just modified the original, but it's really not ideal that way.

image-3719847288.jpg

FYI, from experience, don't change just the rotor to convert to 12V. The stator also should be changed, I just went through this.

I didn't. I originally just went with a diesel pickup alternator, but it was a rebuilt one. Didn't last, and they don't really exist anymore short of 5 bones. I should have the NPR replacement bolted on tomorrow to try it out. Assuming I can get the hose connections sorted,
That is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom