13b-t To Garrett (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great thread.... I will get this adapter when the $$$ come for a turbo.

You know I never looked really carefully at that adapter until now for some reason, but it looks to me that it restricts the exhaust a little there... It's kinda squarish and cuts off the round manifold tube a little. A problem?

b

Slightly maybe, but it is flowed on the other end. All sculpted in . Not sure if it is significant in any kinda reductions. They were very close.

After much searching, I found my reciept for the adapter I bought. It was 75.99 USD.

http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index2.html

I think the guy was Lance...... But it was a year and half ago.

It adapts to a T3 foot to Ct26. I thought it was quite a nice machine job they did. He had about 10 of them.

BB,
thanks for posting this link and contact info. i just ordered a couple.
the info is greatly appreciated...

He had 10 or so when I bought them. So it is limited and asking to make another run might end up being more money.

Glad the info helped. So was his name Lance?

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Actualy i was trying to dig down this post, cos i'm intrested in fitting a variable nozzle turbo in my HJ61. Like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOOK...006QQitemZ160047641389QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Btw, do the adapters need to be steel, or aluminium can do? Cos i can machine myself, but i try to avoid steel due to the lack of coolant oil pump on my milling machine.

Bye.

Max.

damn dude .. it looks ( all read ) awesome .. ! it's really a nice turbo for our diesel engines . ?

Hey guys!

Actualy i was trying to dig down this post, cos i'm intrested in fitting a variable nozzle turbo in my HJ61. Like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOOK...006QQitemZ160047641389QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Btw, do the adapters need to be steel, or aluminium can do? Cos i can machine myself, but i try to avoid steel due to the lack of coolant oil pump on my milling machine.

Bye.

Max.

I would not use aluminum. The temps are too high. The adapter was made of steel that I got.

Also I would be concerned with aluminum due to different expansion rates between the cast steel manifold and the steel turbo housing. They will not expand as great as aluminum. So the sealing is going to be comprimised.

So IMOP use steel. I'm sure any Mild steel will work. It doesn't need to be nickle or stainless alloy.

Hey guys!

I've played with a VNT on a 2.5 and the results are disappointing so far, to say the least. That and the below-average durability of these units makes me reconsider my development priorities. :doh:

i wonder if the extra rotating mass involved in the adjustable vanes would act like turbo lag taking longer to spool up. maybe more efficient at one continuous speed over a standard turbo due to adjustability but no major advantage while going through the gears.

I don't know squat about these turbos. But to me this is a simple engine and I would want to keep it as simple as possible. So a plain turbo is all I would want.

ok, any thoughts why this turbo wouldnt be better than a fixed ratio compressor, or are they. it seems to me that a variable pitched vanes would be way better. wheres the missing link?
That's in theory, practically with a big diesel engine with almost no emissions requirements you can play with off-boost fueling settings enough to achieve a quick spoolup without the hassle of building additionnal controls and worse reliability.
Long story short : if you want the absolute best efficiency at both low and high revs then it *might* be the right path but be prepared to invest a lot of time and money into R&D.

Since this thread has been resurected!

BB: How is the turbo doing now? I'm thinking of grabbing one from a chrysler 600 2.2litre gas turbo. Will this be too small?

What do the numbers stand for? a/r? and what do these numbers mean in relation to the turbo? I could look elsewhere, but maybe someone here knows and others here might want to know?

There is clearly a lot of varying opinions it seems as to what is the perfect turbo for what engine and what type of driving style. So maybe if we could get some reviews from anyone who has done a homebrew turbo and has driven it for a bit. If you could include any figures and specs would probably be more important than pictures of how stuff was routed.

I am only going off internet gossip when I picked my turbo. As I have not driven it yet, but have it all installed. I cannot give a good road test comparision.

Nor have I driven any turbo'd 3B's. I can pull 7lbs reving it in my garage tho. So I thought that was positive.

As far as A/r and all that, you can do compressor mapping on the internet. Just try searching. There are free versions to play with.

There are many Chrysler turbos on 3bs and many say they are happy. My Merkur turbo is a garret, that came off a 2.5L which according to the masses on here should be a similar sized turbo for a 3b.

But its all guessing game. Unless you have a turbo built for the engine. If your doing the junkyard thing you really are not going to waste much money, if it doesn't work trade it in for another junker.

Any improvement on 3B is a good improvement IMOP. They are guttless tough engines.

I am just tired of driving on the highways and having a head wind knock me out of fifth. If I can't get an improvement with the turbo I will re-gear. After that, I am ripping the engine out and putting in a turbo'd 1HZ.

a/r describes the aspect ratio of a turbine or a compressor. a is the cross-sectionnal area of the flow passage, and r is the distance to the center of the spiral. In the same turbine or compressor family a small a/r will give a lot of leverage (fast response) but will be restrictive, and vice-versa.

brown bear, you still havent got your rig on the road? thats gonna be a super slick ride when youre done.

hoblesbestfriend, i installed the merkur turbo on my 3b and i like it alot. i think the merkur motor was about 2.3 litre, i cant remember exactly. i installed the turbo and only got to drive my cruiser for about a week before i left to new zealand, but it made a big difference, especially top end power and i didnt even get a chance to adjust the fuel and get stuff tuned in. i have quite a bit less knowledge than a lot of the guys on the forum but i will say i would reccomend it the merkur turbo. although i did find the power to be up in the higher rpms, and maybe a slightly smaller turbo would work if you are worried about revs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom