1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

13b-t To Garrett

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by brownbear, Aug 6, 2005.

1. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

For those interested in turbo installs on a 3b or changing the ct-26 on your 13b-t to a Garrett type exhaust inlet flange.

Heres an adapter for you. I didn't make it. But can hook you up to get one if you desire.

I recieved the manifold from the good guys a G&S thank you very mucho.

Going to a Garrett stlye will be a plus if you ever have to replace the factory turbo on your 13b-t. There are tonnes of options.

Ok had to post this, now I got to get back to the install. It will take a few days, as its the weekend and nothing is open.....
    13B-T3.JPG 13B-T 4.JPG

2. Stone

Stone Moderator

3. silvercrusher

silvercrusher

I too am watching this one closely. Mine is just one kid outa diapers away from a turbo. So end result expenditures would be appreciated being as how you live in the same province and all. Nice adapter who milled it for you?
    You really are having fun now aren't you!!! :beer: :beer:

4. Greg_B

Greg_B

5. Greg_B

Greg_B

Pleasure.

Yes, please keep us all updated with the build...

gb

6. brownbear

I see you found the info. yes indeed the ct26 is a toyota name for the turbo on the 13b-t, as well as the supra and mr2. the turbo on the 2l-t is called a ct20.

the supra shares the same inlet as the 13b-t, but the mr2 has a dual entry. some say there is a single entry model. I talked to lot of turbo shops and they say the supra is the only one.

But you will not find a supra turbo to bolt onto a 13b-t manifold. just ain't gonna happen. there is no junkyard ones, if you do find one, expect to pay 2000 min to overhaul it..... and from what I have heard it might be too large for 3b. maybe a 2h would be ok.

other option, buy a turbonectics ct26 exhaust housing that bolts up to the manifold. or buy an adapter and find a suitable garrett.

the size range on garretts is giant. so you got lots of tailoring room.

I also did not want to weld onto the manifold. otherwise I limit my options later down the road.

I found this adapter already made in a shop down south. so I didn't have to get iit made.

The adapter was designed for the supra guys so they could switch to garretts.

7. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

So you wana change your Turbo for other ( more ) bigger, to move more air . ?

8. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    SO what are you putting on it BB? a gt25?

9. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Turbo Glide 2H Turbo Kit comes with a Garret Hi Flow T28

10. brownbear

I don't have the part number handy, I can provide it later. Its a garrett off a Ford Merkur(junkyard)
    with exhaust A/R of .48 and compressor A/R of.60 The car was a 2.5L
    its off an automatic tranny version. so most likely it should spool nicely.

At first I was just searching for new turbo to use. The money got tighter in the project and the guys I was talking to about the different turbos were not as helpful. One guy in the states said sure I can get you a turbo, heres the price. I ask"whats the size blah blah blah......." no answer for the info I need.
    Another guy in Calgary promises me the right set up, even said his best man worked the maps to get the right size. When I called back he was out of the office, so I spoke to this expert guy, he said he didn't know much about it, as well said I needed to provide more info. After I had provided all the info I could to the other guy.

so when I all came down to it. I went to the junkyard and found a decent one. No idea if the specs will be correct or not.

Also the thing with a junkyard turbo is you get all the pieces, like wastegate, exhaust outlet, any piping , flanges for the oil px in, and all the other tubes and fittings.

with a new turbo you have to source all that stuff. When I was looking at using the Toyota exhaust housing(turbonetic), the guys told me I would have to fabricate all the outlet and wastegate controls. Too much work IMOP.

11. brownbear

me? I am doing an intial install.

but some 13b-t guys could use this to get a bigger more flow turbo, or a cheaper one in their size when the time comes for rebuild.

12. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    Wondering how you get aroung the turbo lag if you go big with the turbo? I was just thinking that with the big garrets, you tend to get quite bad lag at lower RPM... or so has been my experience. Is this a consideration BB? Older Volvo's (pre 85) used a T3 or similar, and might be another source. After 85 they went to smaller turbos to cut down on lag.

13. brownbear

ya bigger might do that, but look at the tuner market they offer larger turbos all the time for power upgrades. yes you would lose a bit on the upper end but would have a higher airflow on the top end. so for a low rpm diesel it would have to matched to give you best power for range of rpm you highway drive at.

all this comes down to is more choices for a setting up a perfect combo.

it might not be practical or worth it for many.

the turbo I picked isn't that big, I will have good bottom end I presume.........

14. rubycakes

rubycakes

Well, well? How's it going BB?

15. brownbear

still in the build process. waiting to get the truck together after my rust clean up.

got all the fittings and lines made up. so it is going forward. just need to figure out a intake pipe(boost)

the angles are funny. gotta make something out of tail pipe material with lots of bends,

16. lumpy70

lumpy70

Media:
    I just finished an install using a 13B-T manifold (from G&S of course) and a Garrett turbo. I'm very pleased with the results.

I don't have any pictures handy, but I'll try to describe it. I welded a piece of 3/4" cold-rolled steel to the 13B-T manifold. Then I drilled and tapped the steel and into the cast for the mounting bolts for the turbo.

As for the Garrett turbo, I think that a compressor A/R of.60 is too high for the 3B. On my turbo (which has a compressor a/r of .42) I don't really get any useable boost until about 2000-2100 rpm. After that...it's all good. If you had an a/r of .60 I think it wouldn't really spool up properly.

I'm running 9 lbs of boost and I haven't turned up my fuel yet. I can easily get my truck up to 130 kph (80 mph for the yanks) although I don't like to hold that for long. I'm passing, holding speed on hills and my EGT's are almost half of what they were. The max I can get it at is 900F under maximum load and really pushing it.. I've got lots of room to play with the fuel.

Anyway, that adaptor would have been very handy and saved me a lot of work. Get your Garrett turbo out of a Chrysler mini-van or a turbo LeBaron at the wrecker. Very cheap and easily replacable.

Craig

17. brownbear

I'll let you know. It came off a 2.5 L gasser. the exhaust a/r is .48. so it should still spool.
    I talked to many turbo shops and what they ran for me was close to that.

have to see.

why you only doing 9psi? crank it up to 13 or so, and dial the fuel. Gotta get use out of that turbo. I think the engine can handle it.

good to hear you got it done. congrate, post some pics pls.

18. lumpy70

lumpy70

Media:
  19. brownbear

cool!

definately a tighter fit than a 60, but a 60 still has fitting issues.

but cool fur sure.......congrates!

20. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

looks good BB