13B-T rotary pump conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone here played around with different timing case and injector pump setups on B-series engines?

I've got a BJ74 and mostly as part of a strategy to get rid of the vacuum pump on the alternator, I'm looking at converting to a rotary injector pump.

I've got a timing case/gear setup off what I think was a 3B-II, an injector pump from a 4M40-T, injector lines from a 14B-T with a rotary pump, vacuum pump and PS pump from toyota dyna trucks.

I'm really at the gathering of parts stage, but I think I'm getting close now. I have a spare 13B engine that I can use for mock-up.

I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone been down this road before? Any tips?

I believe I'll need to have the delivery valves on the pump changed to suit my injectors, thats fine.

I don't know yet what I'll do for a diesel filter and primer, perhaps HZJ7x parts, I think where they mount is where a BJ74 has it's PS reservoir, so might look at moving my PS reservoir to the two bosses on the inlet manifold that hold the 13B-T diesel filter. Essentially swap the locations.

Thinking I might be able to use HZJ7x power steering lines as a starting point, I'll probably take the opportunity to add a cooler on the return line.

Anyone got a rotary pump equipped 14B-T laying around, I'd love some photos.

Gotta ask- what's the benefit of this?

If I want power I can intercool and turn up the boost, and my fuel economy right now is in the low 20s around town and I have enough power in factory form to do all of the LA freeway things I need to do.

Probably after more fuel. The 4m40 pump is meant to be good, people put them on 1kzs here in nz.

The 13bt with the inline pump maxed out, intercooler and decent turbo does go well. But you always want more don't you?

My truck pulled a fair bit harder with worn out injectors. There's hi flow injectors available for the 12ht in Australia, but not the 13bt.

Isn't he just trying to get the gear driven vacuum pump that was used with the rotary pumps as opposed to the alternator mounted one ?

Just go to hydraboost and then you don't need it at all :)

If you are really only doing it to get rid of the alternator mounted vacuum pump, then then there are other options. Hydraboost, electric vacuum pump, conversion to an NPR style alternator/pump setup.
The inline 13BT pump is super reliable, and has more room to turn up.

If you want more fueling, than that is a different topic.

I've got a BJ74 and mostly as part of a strategy to get rid of the vacuum pump on the alternator

A lot of work and $$$ for that. You could buy 2 alternators and get more than 250000klms out of each one.
Or buy a larger 14B or 15B

I've already bought two alternators, I didn't get 250,000kms out them. I'm almost due a rebuild on my inline pump and contrary to the posts above, with an 11mm head I'm of the understanding there is better power opportunity from the rotary pump than the line, particularly $ for $.

I've looked at electric vacuum pump options, I like the simplicity and packaging of the factory gear driven vacuum and power steering pumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom