13B-T Manifold preservation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am receiving a new 13B-T manifold and adapter for a T3 turbo. I want to preserve them from rust (on the Gulf Coast). What are your ideas?

Paint, ceramic coat, etc.

****Should I leave the "faces" that touch the head and turbo adapter in the raw or is it OK to paint them too??

Justin

Never paint the faces. They need to be bare and pefectly flat otherwise you got an exhaust leak. Don't think I have ever seen a manifold painted. With high temps, piant won't last that long. If you want get the outside powder coated. But I wouldn't bother with any of it on a cast manifold.

some say that ceramic coating is a good idea on the manifold and the exhaust side of the trubo. It should help keep heat in the turbo which will make it more effective.

some say that ceramic coating is a good idea on the manifold and the exhaust side of the trubo. It should help keep heat in the turbo which will make it more effective.

It's also probably the only really durable coating.
I've tried the VHT exhaust paint many times over the last 3 years and while it goes on well, it seems to have a 10,000km life.

same deal for me...........

I too have a mani for my 3B only mine is the AXT version. I planned on ceramic coating mine.

Incidently is it mainly the threads on IH8 that led you to the T3? It was the way I was leaning as well although there are lots of guys using different turbos on here.

Turboing my 3B is my next project..............I'm currently up to my eyes converting it to burn WVO.
best
Aaron

ceramic coating...
do not do the faces.
do not use paint

stay away from POR15 s***, it is the handywork of the devil himself. great marketing job there.

Thanks guys. I once had an exhaust mani "Jet Hot" coated and never used it. Years later I found it in the shop and the inside had rust spots! The outside looked great though. Is ceramic coating similar to powder coating in that is is a spray and not an immersion application??

Justin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom