13B-T loosing power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I increased the fuel and boost. I touched 130km/h on highway with factory size tires. Power increase after the tweak was outstanding.

I begin to notice a gradual reduction in power every day. I thought it is just I adjusting to the power. But, few days back I really began to notice power drop.

Today, I couldn't go past 110km/h on same highway. What has happened?

I checked the fuel and air filter, they are good. It isn't eating oil any more and no increase/decrease in smoke.

I don't know about the 13BT fuel setting screw, but my 2B with garrett turbo self-adjusted (my funny way of saying that I didn't lock it down properly) after I had set it.

Have you refilled your tank since the 130 km/h day? If you did was it at your "usual" fuel station.

I've noticed differences in fuel quality from brand to brand, especially with winter diesel. I get 42mpg with Shell diesel in my VW TDI. Irving's diesel is 47-48 mpg.

BreckenridgeCruiser:

I will see to that. But there is a lock nut which should hold it in place.

Chang-kuao-lo:

I have a boost guage and a boost controller. No pyro meter. I don't drive so hard just when there is an emergency or matter of respect :).

RufusTheDufus:

Yes I have refilled tank a number of times after the 130km/h. I always go with Shell. I am considering changing to other brand.

So, I take it your boost is consistent? And you have a "real" wastegate controller, and not one of those goofy-assed grainger check valves? Starting to sound like the fuel volume screw.

wow, Casey Irving got his tentacles all the way down into Maine?

Put a pyro in. It's the best way for you to get a visual on what effects added boost and fuel are doing. It will also help narrow down possibilities of what is happening.

Air and fuel. Check both systems fully.

Is there air in the fuel before going into the pump?
Have you checked/changed your air filter and fuel filter?
Your manual fuel pump is locked down, and not leaking?
Your boost compensator is working?
You have the 13BT engine manual?

And lastly...Are your EGT's climbing with a decrease in power?

Last edited:
"And lastly...Are your EGT's climbing with a decrease in power?"

x2 EGT is a bit of an expensive unit but worth the $, this usually indicates too much fuel and/or not enough boost. I had an intercooler elbow leak and the EGT's went up pretty damn fast (600 up to 1,100 degrees in about 3 seconds). Where exactly are you measuring the boost from, the wastegate hose, or the manifold? Manifold is best, that way you know how much is actually making it into the engine.

could be something simple like your e- brake dragging.

i had a decrease in power just recently, so i pored couple cans of seafaom in the fuel tank, it made a big difference, with in a few days i had full power back, that seafoam is mighty good snake oil, imo. :D

Fill the fuel filter with seafoam when you change the filter. Eats carbon and rust, great stuff.

no, it works, I've done it on the 1L, 2LT, 13BT, and the Benz 240D, never had a problem, works great. "DeepCreep" in the can is fantastic too, about twice the price of WD40 but kicks the crap out of WD. Best chit for fogging an engine for storage, use it on the sharpening steel too.

Oh, and the parking brake. Do check that, silly as it may sound I've had the same thing happen on my BJ74. Also, the BJ42 I just got had the p-brake siezed and the PO just kept on driving and pretty much destroyed the rear brakes.

could be something simple like your e- brake dragging.

i had a decrease in power just recently, so i pored couple cans of seafaom in the fuel tank, it made a big difference, with in a few days i had full power back, that seafoam is mighty good snake oil, imo. :D

Good call on a potential cause being a drag by the brake system. Add to that wheel bearings, etc... Could be coincidental timing. An EGT gauge would help on this front too.

I've been partial to Lubro Moly Diesel Purge for straight running. Remember, if you have an engine with a fuel return to the tank, the only way to run on your product of choice is to remove the feed and return lines, and run the product direct from a containor. Otherwise what was 100% in the fuel filter gets feed back to the fuel tank right away.

lubro moly's stuff is hard to find down here. Good chit though, about the only stuff Benz recommends...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom