13B-T loosing power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No it is not the ebrake.
Fuel screws are locked in and set to max.
Vehicle runs a bit 'smooth' when the weather is a little warm.
No leaks, hoses are secure.
Manual fuel feed pump leaks when I pump it but when it is locked down, no leaks.
I have the 13B-T FSM.
I couldn't find DeepCreep or Seafoam locally. Can WD40 work?
I am measuring the boost from the crossover. I am using HBC boost controller.
Checked the air filter and fuel filter, they are nice and clean.

I increased the fuel because the vehicle was like a donkey cart. Very very slow and underpowered. It couldn’t outrun a 60hp SUV. The story starts when I asked a local repair shop to fine tune the IP. Back then (before the tune-up) it had a noticeable power … was a monster so to say. The only thing that bothered me was black smoke and bad mpg. After the tune up, smoke was gone, a little improvement in mpg but no more power.

Ok if I turn the fuel screw just by 1 1/2 turn, fuel stops.

One other thing, is there any way to reduce black smoke before the boost buildup while not loosing any power?

I will let you people know if the engine breaks, ever :)

One other thing, is there any way to reduce black smoke before the boost buildup while not loosing any power?

NO ! IT cant be done!, From what you are telling us it seams like you dont like your motor. Unless you are gonna try drag racing your BJ 74 , I wouldnt fxxx with it!

don't know.

the only time i seem to get black smoke is when i turn the key, and then it's only a breath puff.

prado t:

Sorry if I offended. But I said it before and I say it again, if I reduce the fuel it will NOT be able to climb hills. IT DOES NOT produce enough power to drag itself up the hill on which 2LTE climb like it is a freeway. I said it before and say it again; pump was tinkered with and after that it is a ... I recall I could not overtake an 800cc CNG Suzuki!!!

For the black puff If I don’t pedal to the metal; no smoke.

The bottom line is driving your truck after you messed with the fuel screw is retarded without an EGT... These things should be equip with one from the factory even my NA diesel gets insane EGT's when driven normally depending on inclines and road condition... People wonder why there head's crack!

Danhr, go buy an EGT you have a nice truck and none of us wanna help you replace your 13bt

danhr, you're right that something is wrong with your truck if you can't climb hills, however you will wreck that truck if you think "fixing" the problem means playing with the fuel screw.

You NEED to buy some gauges to diagnose your problem - one should be an EGT gauge, and the other should be a compression tester. If you don't buy these gauges, your truck will die.

In my opinion, it sounds like you may have some some serious damage already if you turned the fuel as high as you say and then lost power afterwards. Use a compression tester to find out (a leakdown test would be even better). Then, assuming that the compression test comes back OK, or at least "not ruined" then reset your fuel screw to where it belongs, using the EGT gauge to find the proper setting. You're not going to fix this without laying out some cash.

Dan, could you take a photo of the screw your messing with on the injection pump? I'm no expert on 13b-t pumps but I've read some posts on this forum that indicate that there are multiple places on the pump to adjust the fuel delivery curve. I think one adjustment is for atmospheric conditions and the other is for additional fuel under boost. One of the two is not obvious and little hard to get to. Which one are you adjusting?

Fine enough.
I can sell lemonade to increase the life of truck by buying a pyro. I like the truck. BTW it has been over two months with this setup. Must be the cold weather holding it ?

There are a few other things that bothers me. I have seen videos of straight pipe 3inch. I don't know why but the truck I have also makes similar sound. I don't know if the exhaust is stock. The truck isn't factory. It has modified interior and slightly body lifted. Originally it came with a turbo.. I don't know the brand but it wasn't CT26. The turbo was replaced once the pump was tinkered with and mechanics fooled me in replacing it saying that power loss is due to faulty turbo. I will post pics of all these.

ohh and restored the power! I used to add diesel additive. I stopped using it as I thought it is a scam. I guess those stuff work.

Ok... it isn't the additive. Shell has lost its quality I guess. I haven't been on highway yet I am scared of EGTs.
It feels like power has come back again but...
I am reducing fuel now.

Reduced the fuel. No more black smoke. No more power but I can live with that than a broken vehicle in middle of no where.

Once I get a pyro installed then I will play around.

One other things... has any one used STP Diesel Fuel Treatment : Speeding.co.uk Car Accessories STP

Do they work or waste of money?

It looks like an injector cleaner and cetane booster...but it doesn't mention anything about adding lubrication properties to the diesel fuel. I would argue that with the low sulfur or no sulfur diesel fuels now widely used, lubrication for your fuel pump is probably the most important function of the additives that you put into the fuel. Especially considering how expensive a pump problem can be.

There are other products, like Diesel Purge, that are much more effective at cleaning your injectors that you only use once in a while. My two cents...

Ok now guide me:

I turned down the fuel. The result was no more black smoke, a little white-blue smoke with sudden throttle but that is due to turbo oil leak.
The problem: if I turn on the AC the vehicle stalls. I have set the throttle screw high (above 1500rpm) yet still. I can't imagine what will be the results when climbing hills. Should I slightly increase the fuel say by half a turn. I still don't have the pyro.
Turbo pressure has dropped to 5-6psi.

Under what conditions are you measuring turbo pressure? i.e. driving in 4th gear uphill, sitting at rest in the driveway, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom