13.1mpg@68mph, 33's, 3:70's, 4spd- Restore additive! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I added some RESTORE additive to to the oil in my 130K mile '84 FJ60. It now gets approx 10% better gas mileage! It is supposed to equalize compression in all cylinders by filling in the scratches in the cylinder walls. About $6/bottle and supposed to add again after 2-3 oil changes.

Before I was getting 11 and now I calculated 13.1. I went 197miles (indicated) on 17.2 gallons. This is with a 2" OME lift, ProComp 33x12.5" tires, stock 3:70 gears, stock 4 speed manual non overdrive transmission and cruising at 60mph or faster (indicated) on my stock non recalibrated speedo. This was with about 200lbs of gear in the back as well. Doing the calculation from stock 28.7" tires to 33's it says I was going about 68mph.

During this trip mainly highway I also went 78mph (indicated) downhill :cheers: which certainly made it seem like the engine was breathing and the top speed I've ever done in it. This included some light wheelin' in the mountains (5-10 miles worth), and 20 miles or so of in town driving. Once in 4x4 low the stock gears seemed to work fine with the 33's. I don't do any gnarly wheelin' like rock crawling... but up a 45*+ dry river bed with loose rocks and a few switchbacks it worked great. I'm happy with the truck and the thumbs up I get makes me smile from other rigs.

I was pretty impressed with the RESTORE increase in mileage. It seems to run smoother and a little more power as well I think?!?!?!

Slow and steady.....

Might be time for some synthetic fluids.... less friction for my brick on wheels. Unknown mileage on the fluids aside from the transmission.

What do you guys think of the gas mileage? I think I have a healthy engine.

-Mark

It sounds healthy. You can always do a compression test to see where you stand.

I am thinking the mileage went up due to the special $3.00/gal. gas you put in it from SF.

Yup, definately a result of the 30 extra cents that you pay for gasonline.

Seriously though, the mileage went up by that much? That's pretty cool. I'm going to add that to my next service update, as in personal wrenching. I've read that Royal Purple is the best synthetic that money can buy, so that is what I'm going to be filling my truck with.

Anyone else use Royal Purple?

:beer:

I've not used Royal Purple, but can attest to a change in MPG from dino oil to synthetic.

I commute in an older 530 BMW. Simply changing engine oil from dino to a full synthetic garnered an increse in 1.3 MPG. My driving style did not change.

I imagine that diff oil, transmisison oil, t-case oil, would also contribute in a positive fashion.

One thing to keep in mind, however. If you have any leaks, syn oil will only make them worse.

uberhahn

Definately something to consider. Leaks are not a good thing, especially with expensive synthetic.

:beer:

I read a post where guys are getting 14-16mpg.... guess I need to keep it closer to 60mph. :doh:

Here is a before paint picture and the 31's I had on it with old school Centerlines.....
MrHankyprelift.JPG

I used restore in an old 350 V8, it would eliminate the smoke under power and start up, so did what it claimed. I had to use it every 1000 miles.

I am told it can make it hard to rebuild the engine after as it coats the cylinders bad, too coated to hone.

this maybe myth, but I would ask an engine shop if they have encountered that prob...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom