12v winch on 24v Bj40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m installing a 12 volt winch on my 24 volt bj40. I’m thinking for installing a third battery to supply 12 v to the winch.
Can i charge this third battery with the 24 to 12 volt converter that’s build in the car?

No.

Or rather, not in a practical sense. It would charge but at a trickle that would take a week to replace what you would draw from a winching session.

You need a 24 v winch. No other realistic way to go.

check out the thread by 'kling-on' circa 2010 titled 12v winch on 24v?

definitely no on the idea of a third batt

Maybe think about a milemarker hydraulic. I got a NOS military HMMV 10,500 lb unit off ebay years ago, running on the stock power steering pump (BJ60) gives me an 8000 pound single line pull in low. No heat, no fuss, no muss, no dead batteries. And as a safety factor, when it hits 8000lb, it just stops, so I'm never worried about putting my line to the max. Then if needed, I can re-rig with a snatch block or two and get all the pulling power I need. Just a thought.

Buy an older 12v warn winch and run 24v to it. They hold up fine and run faster than ever lol. Ran a 9500 warn on my BJ for a few years no problem. I read it on a pirate forum and didn't believe it but they were right.

On some of our military jeeps M-38-A1 we just taped off the first battery for 12 volt winch and radio. Couldn't you do the same on your Toyota?

On some of our military jeeps M-38-A1 we just taped off the first battery for 12 volt winch and radio. Couldn't you do the same on your Toyota?

It would work but will ruin the batteries very quickly. You can jump start (depending on how discharged the system is) by hooking up a 12 v car to just the low battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom