12V Outlet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
For those of you that have run electrical for a 12V outlet at the back of the truck - questions?

What guage of wire did you run? I'm thinking 10 ga.
Where did you find it easy to mount?
Where did you source/buy your outlet?

Figure while I'm installing the Painless Cirkit Boss, I may as well run a 12V outlet to the back of the truck just for grins and future use.........

I used 8 guage, but that's more than you need. 10 ga. should be plenty.
I used a marinco recepticle for the 12v -- found mine at West Marine.

Search on "12v outlet" and you'll find a bunch of info.

Thx Doug - already looked at West Marine online- they've got several. They also have three stores within about 5 miles of my house down in and near the Dana Point Harbor.

Where is yours located - just somewhere on the rear quarterpanel?

Brentbba said:
Thx Doug - already looked at West Marine online- they've got several. They also have three stores within about 5 miles of my house down in and near the Dana Point Harbor.

Where is yours located - just somewhere on the rear quarterpanel?
I installed 2 when I did it and am glad I did more than 1.
The fridge stays plugged into 1 of them pretty much full time. The 2nd outlet is available for the TV/VCR combo (for the kids on long trips), DVD player, inverter, etc.

I highly suggest installing more than 1.

I have mine installed on the passenger side cargo area plastic panel.

Not a bad idea - you run separate wires for each one or just split it at termination?

1 wire to a fuse block bolted to the back of the panel -- on the back of the storage box, actually. From this fuse block, I have 2 fused wires -- one for each recepticle.

I need to change this set up, however, because I'm currently running a non-fused wire to the fuse block -- I need to add an inline fuse.

might be handy to have some switched with ignition and some on all the time. Both have their uses.

My fuse block will be located behind the PS kickpanel like cartercd's. May just run two wires to be safe, just in case I ever use both at the same time. I remember the thread where you realized you needed that inline fuse to the battery.

Here's my power outlet. I ran 10 guage wires fused at a fuse block at the battery. I ran both positive and negaitve so I don't have to rely on a body ground. I may add a second one if there is a need. The second pic show the aux fuse block at the battery-it's fed by an 8ga jumper from the positive battery terminal. I liked the setup so well, I duplicated it in my FJ60.

edit-The 12v outlet is West Marine's "good" one supposedly waterproof if used with the matching plug. It works great with a regular plug. The fuse block is from Napa-about $14. It works well, is easy to mount and is inexpensive.
1Mud3.jpg
dual6.jpg

Weatherproof 12V power point for pickup truck bed with plastic liner. It has a weatherproof, spring-loaded cover and it has a separate black ground wire. About $10 from Walmart.

EDIT - The pictured power point is located below the "vents" on the passenger side rear quarter panel. The LX450 does not have a rear subwoofer like the LC.
Rear Power Point.jpg
Power Point 1.jpg

Last edited:
nice

I'll end up locating mine where Cruiserdrew has his because of my subwoofer enclosure at the back end of the truck. Would certainly like it further to the rear, maybe up high above the sub enclosure.

Nice pics guys - thanks!

I used a Toyota power tap at the battery that came from the Tundra towing package. It has a replaceable and upgradable 30 amp fuse. The tapped power is then routed thru a PriorityPlus! that automatically disconnects the power tap in the event the battery is drained below 40% charge.

From the PriorityPlus!, a 10 guage wire cover by a split loom is routed to the fuse block under the front passenger's seat - similar to the Slee aux fusebox setup. I've only added a fuse block with 4 positions since I was only adding 4 power points. I did leave a covered pigtail for future expansion of the fuseblock.

I have 4 individually fused, constant powered 12V outlets - one below the front glove box, two at the center console, and one at the rear passenger-side quarter panel. The two 12V power outlets at the center console are most often used. They are easily accessible from the first and second row passengers, and can also be used to charge by cell phone inside the center console.

While I had the interior apart, I ran an additional (unused) wire from the aux fuse block to the rear quarter panel in case I needed a second 12V outlet at the rear cargo area. So far, I've not had the need for it.
Battery Tap.jpg
Front Power Point.jpg
Console Power Point.jpg

Another possibility...

I took this quick shot of the rear center console before putting in back in the truck. As much as I hate the "cigarette lighter" style of jack/plug, there are enough commercial devices - both in the inventory, and that others seem to carry - that at least a couple are necessary.

These are 10A circuits fed by a fuse block under the the PS seat, so the run is short and cable size relatively small, and are controlled by two of the switches. (The other two switches are for hard wired accessories - cell, gps, pda, etc.).

The plugs & switches are an easy reach for either driver or passenger, and are convenient for anyone "camping out" in the rear. For now, an extension cord is run to the tail gate until I get additional plugs installed back there.

The object on the left is a hard-wired flashlight (Streamlight) charger/holder.

Cheers, R -
LCr_console_01_250.jpg

looks great very OEM I love the switches...so they turn on and off the 12V sockets?

Clark...

>> so they turn on and off the 12V sockets?

Yes. Two of the switches control the sockets. The other two, as I mentioned, control accessories that are hard-wired to the fuse block.

Cheers, R -

PS: Was in Prescott just last week; avoided greater Phoenix, however :D

I just had the chance to see Ron's setup last weekend. The photos do not do it justice. It looks right at home and but for an erant piece of duct tape, perfect...:D

CruiserDan - Can you get the 12V power outlets found in the Pre-05 Tacoma's? Looks similiar to what Ron has.

Yes

D -

Thanks for the flowers.

>> and but for an erant piece of duct tape...

...and when you were not looking, I tossed it into the back of your truck; by the time you find it, it will have traveled as many miles in your rig and it did in mine :D

I didn't realize I had used Tacoma sockets. Prolly all made by the same manufacturer...

R -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom