12v key 8274 into a 24v spur gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is the winch in its original shape since 1978
Photo0021.jpg

Taking the 2.5 hp Prestolite off. The next pic with its top off and the original oil inside , still looks good but it is about 33 years old( had a few metal shavings ) .

Sorry for the low quality pics, taken with my Samsung Wave phone and was having really bad DTs (shakes) Lol!

The next shot is the 2.5 hp Prestolite going for an exchange.
Photo0049.jpg
Photo0052.jpg
Photo0065.jpg

Last edited:
So after cleaning it up and dooshing the inside of it out with brake cleaner, I put in the correct amount of 30W Non detergent with some Lucas to stabilize .
Photo0088.jpg

This shot kind-of shows the bronzy colored key way spur.

The next is the American made 24V 6hp motor with the splined spur gear.

Once again my appologies for not showing all of the details of these parts
Warn 8274 033.jpg
Photo0120.jpg

Fitment of the 8274 into the ARB bull bar. It was pretty straight forward

On the second shot , about 2-3mm was ground off the lamp perch (the inside next to the top cover)

The last shot has the new motor attached and the 24V M8000 solenoid box( not yet mounted)
Photo0118.jpg
Photo0119.jpg
Photo0122.jpg

So, the solenoid box is attached, and the Winch works great! It sits low enough in the ARB that engine cooling will not be comprimized. I am still not to excited about the solenoid box mounting because it hides the spool drum, this may cause a problem while winching. It is mounted via the M8000 solenoid box tab, not attached to the motor but ARB.

The last shot with my 12V HIDs hooked up via 24-12V 20a Surepower converter.
Photo0123.jpg
Photo0124.jpg
Photo0125.jpg

Last edited:
Note when I purchaced this winch 24 years ago it was only used a couple of times, I take pretty good care of my stuff so none of the internalls have been replaced, this was a straight forward changeover.
Thanks
Aaron M. Kuit

Hey Aaron,

Where did you pick up the motor? And the Gear?
what parts do I need to do this conversion to my keyed 8274.
I plan on running an albright style solenoid.

Last edited:
Hey Aaron,

Where did you pick up the motor? And the Gear?
what parts do I need to do this conversion to my keyed 8274.
I plan on running an albright style solenoid.

You will need a splined shaft motor and a spur gear (splined) . It is a good Idea to inspect the bearing. The motor that I put in came with a new bearing to place in the upper housing.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the changeover didnt cost anything.
I was able to sell the old solenoid pack added to the exchange of the 12v 2.5hp Prestolite and key spur for the splined shaft 24v 6hp Motor and splined spur gear.:clap:

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the changeover didnt cost anything.
I was able to sell the old solenoid pack added to the exchange of the 12v 2.5hp Prestolite and key spur for the splined shaft 24v 6hp Motor and splined spur gear.:clap:

private?
I would love to do this.

Who is the manufacturer of the 6hp motor? Where did you source it? I need to replace my original keyed Prestolite and would love to go with a US made 6hp 12v motor! Splined spur gear is already in hand. Thanks

Who is the manufacturer of the 6hp motor? Where did you source it? I need to replace my original keyed Prestolite and would love to go with a US made 6hp 12v motor! Splined spur gear is already in hand. Thanks

I bought a Warn 9.5XP 6hp motor for mine and it was a perfect fit. Not 100% sure it was U.S. made though, I don't remember to tell the truth.

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

private?
I would love to do this.

Nothing is private. Get ahold of Andy@ Brighouse Electric in Richmond B.C.

The motor is made by Western Motor Service.
I wanted to give the winch a "work out" before posting any more info ;)

Just an update. I just got back from a 2week expo to the Chilcotin. and another 2 week tripThompson , kootenays and east Kootenays

So In a little over a month I put about 33hrs on the Western Motor Service 6Hp motor. Yes 33hrs!

The 6hp WMS motor performed well . Very well, whether I was pulling myself out of a poop hole or dragging a 6 Ton warf @ Kootenay Lake up on the beach head . It didnt even get warm really on a steady 100ft 2 ton log (snag) pull on a 30deg pull.

Anyhow this is the only time it got used on the Chicotin trip a quick 4 second pull . Reason going toooooooooo slow and this was one of the only times the Cooper STTs got plugged up. Mike the driver of the HZJ 75 in the background checking it out.
Chilcotin July 2011 122.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom