12HT Valve Stem Seals - HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.

Got a blow smoke issue which I am hoping to narrow down with a compressions test .

Just if anyone has any ideas, puffs some smoke on startup, but pretty clear on idle (faint faint white smoke/condensation but does the same when warm). It's when I take off that it loves to puff a good amount of blue smoke which thins out when warm. Makes me think its the valve stem seals because of the amount of smoke it puffs out when cold vs warm.

My real question is that if I need to replace the valve stem seals (could be pistons too) which should I go for? Got a couple of options via Ebay.com.AU.
Option 1)

Option 2)

Option 1 I believe are the original 12ht Valve stem seals, so could go like for like. But Option 2 I have heard had a good rubber sealing on the inside?

Pretty much just want to get the best performing type. At this stage I am assuming they will both do the trick, but wanted to get more opinions.

Cheers team!

How many klms has it done? This could be your oil rings. Cold pistons and rings make blue smoke when they get old.
A thicker oil might help.
If it was the valve guide seals, you might be able to see oil inside the combustion chamber if you remove an injector after sitting over night

How many klms has it done? This could be your oil rings. Cold pistons and rings make blue smoke when they get old.
A thicker oil might help.
If it was the valve guide seals, you might be able to see oil inside the combustion chamber if you remove an injector after sitting over night

Hey mate. It has done 247,000kms.
I did recently change the oil to 15w-50. I wondered if I overfilled the engine as I used the full 10litres vs the 9.7litres for an oil change. Have drained a little bit since.
I dont use it tons as I have a daily and am working on getting it all sorted.

Ill try have a look through the injectors and see if I can find anything!

Thanks for the help! Any other thoughts are welcome :)

Is this a JDM import? The real klms could be much higher. 12HT run good for at least 400k and usually much more.

I believe it was imported to NZ back in 1998 at just shy of 100thousand km. Nothing looks crazy out of the ordinary from the report I got on the car (massive changes up or down), looks like steady increases in kms, but yup you could be right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom