12ht vacuum t case linkage question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bcsteel

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for some info on linkage setups. My truck is an 89 vacuum converted to manual t case by previous owner. Truck won’t shift into 4 low. Reason is the shifter linkage hits the tunnel. Lever is too far over to the passenger side. I’ve conference called with @cruiserpilot on this and he graciously climbed under his and took a few photos. First photo is his shifter linkage.

76E3263C-8F47-4492-A13B-CAAA5ADFBA34.jpeg

3A30EF56-95A9-4627-9BC3-BE5104E346CC.jpeg

Second photo is my linkage. Has anyone seen this different style linkage? If so what years should I be looking at switching to? Im
Guessing pre vacuum but wondering if anyone has run into this. Thanks in advance

Just to clarify, BCSteel linkage arm is near vertical above the pivot shaft. On the top photo you can see
the upper linkage arm is at quite an angle and the entire pivot lever is essentially a straight line to
the nose of the transfer case to the arm at the top. That is mine, and not sure if it is original manual shifter
linkage arm or if it’s from different model. Are the early version transfer cases like the upper arm? Or is
this a split case only linkage arm or was it available on earlier models.
So wondering what models have the upper version and whether anyone has one or knows of part number.

So going through my storage shed. My ‘73FJ40 is in pieces, but I’d cleaned up most of the parts.
Found this and I’d say the shifter arm BCSteel has is pre-Split Case mechanical.
A6E5E3FB-994E-42BE-828C-0248C2825821.jpeg

I just noticed grease fitting. Neither of the first two have that. Interesting

There is at least six or so different combos of split case shifters. 70-series ran the split case too.

I went through three or four before I found the right ones for a swap.

If the shifter is hitting the floor trying to go into low, you could try bending the shifter a little to get you the clearance you need.

Cheers

Thanks. I think I have sorted. Waiting on a lower linkage to be shipped. I’ll report on success or not.

There is at least six or so different combos of split case shifters. 70-series ran the split case too.

I went through three or four before I found the right ones for a swap.

If the shifter is hitting the floor trying to go into low, you could try bending the shifter a little to get you the clearance you need.

Cheers
The problem with the one I have from old single case is it's cast, and just not able to bend. I think that's the case with the one
BCSteel has. Fingers crossed the one coming is a fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom