12HT Turbo original? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I would like to buy a HJ61, but i'm a little confused about 2 things.
On the grille is "diesel" instead of "turbo" and the turbo consists of 1 element while I see 2 elements on other turbo's.

Could this be a "special" type or aftermarket build?
They installed an intercooler, maybe that's the reason?

Type: HJ61
Year: 1988

Thanks!
Steve

example-2.jpeg

example.jpeg

hj61-1.jpeg

hj61-2.jpeg

hj61-3.jpg

Something is cobbled for sure. What's the VIN?

In thinking a bit more it could be a real 12HT truck with an aftermarket intercooler added. The "missing" pipe is the one from the turbo outlet to the intake manifold. That would need to go away for an intercooler.

Oh, and an 88 should have dual rectangular headlamps.

Hum, strange. Intercooler is installed (aftermarket) that explains idd why there is a pipe missing. Maybe the headlights where just in the "transition" fase? (from round to square) I see quite a few '88 with round headlights, but i'm not sure if that is correct.

Rectangular headlamps were introduced in August of 1987 at the start of the 1988 model year. There is no "transition". It is entirely possible that 1987s could have been incorrectly originally registered as 1988s.

This looks like a transplant into a 60 series. 61’s don’t generally have the helper springs for the hood. If done right, still a good set up to have.

This looks like a transplant into a 60 series. 61’s don’t generally have the helper springs for the hood. If done right, still a good set up to have.
But it does have the insulation on the firewall and wheel wells. Interesting??? Being a European (LHD) market I believe they do have the spring helpers.

What prove states that it is a 88 ?
Looks like a original Hj61 with round lights and aftermarket intercooler on which they changed the grill after a small crash. The body beneath the grill does not look crumble free either.
Frame number will tell the truth.

What prove states that it is a 88 ?
Looks like a original Hj61 with round lights and aftermarket intercooler on which they changed the grill after a small crash. The body beneath the grill does not look crumble free either.
Frame number will tell the truth.

that is what I thought. An accident after which a grill with round lights is placed - from a normal diesel

Grill has nothing to do with the lights.
There are turbo badged grills in that same shape like it has now.
You can't change lights without changing fenders and bezel and radiator mount.
If you look in the corner were the fender meets the firewall , there is still original caulking.

that is what I thought. An accident after which a grill with round lights is placed - from a normal diesel
Round to rectangular headlamps is a year model change, not an engine change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom