12ht rebuild ‘essentials’ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday all,
What would you consider to be essentials when undertaking a rebuild of a 12ht??
My intention is to run a GTurbo, Munro, or MMP, with a PDI Intercooler at about 18 - 20psi. The car is used as a daily driver, and tows a 1.5t boat on a 3000km trip a couple of times per year... I already have a new genuine viscous fan hub, custom radiator (usually used in 6.5L TD swaps), HD Exedy clutch, boost / egt / coolant temp gauges...
Is ceramic coating of pistons, MLS head gasket or KIA head bolts necessary?? Balancing or Blueprinting (whatever that is??)

Have a look at Engines Australia's site. They have performance parts for a few Toyota diesels
Are you doing this yourself?

Does your custom radiator have a shroud?

Gday all,
What would you consider to be essentials when undertaking a rebuild of a 12ht??
My intention is to run a GTurbo, Munro, or MMP, with a PDI Intercooler at about 18 - 20psi. The car is used as a daily driver, and tows a 1.5t boat on a 3000km trip a couple of times per year... I already have a new genuine viscous fan hub, custom radiator (usually used in 6.5L TD swaps), HD Exedy clutch, boost / egt / coolant temp gauges...
Is ceramic coating of pistons, MLS head gasket or KIA head bolts necessary?? Balancing or Blueprinting (whatever that is??)
Go the gturbo and PDI. You will love that. Send the pump and injectors to MTQ diesel or ADS and have them rebuild it and high flow it. Absolutely for balancing the engine, many people don't and I reckon it is worth doing. There is an audible difference in an engine that has been balanced and one that hasn't. For the sake of doing it right, and doing it once get it done.

Go the gturbo and PDI. You will love that. Send the pump and injectors to MTQ diesel or ADS and have them rebuild it and high flow it. Absolutely for balancing the engine, many people don't and I reckon it is worth doing. There is an audible difference in an engine that has been balanced and one that hasn't. For the sake of doing it right, and doing it once get it done.

thanks for your input. I am still working out if I can justify the ADS pump rebuild and 30+ injectors... adds about $5000 to the rebuild...

Has anyone got any power and torque figures (or what they would expect) for a freshly built 12ht with high flow turbo (18 - 20psi) and an ADS rebuilt pump to suit their +30 injectors?

Just my personal opinion... but while boost figures are a good indication of power levels there is a lot more too it. If you’re bored, go checkout some of the diesel videos posted by banks power on YouTube.

Basically, you can make as much or more power with less boost level by removing restrictions, optimising the turbo choice, having the best flowing/largest intercooler possible etc.

One example on the 12HT, spend some time with a dremal cleaning up the head, specifically the intake section of the runners. By rounding the edges carefully you can increase flow/decrease resistance substantially. I can post up some info when I get home on changing the standard throttle body for a much larger mustang unit which again decreases pumping losses.

Obviously a quality Mandral bent 3” (or 3.5”) exhaust with a high flowing dump pipe is essential.

Another critical aspect is getting the pump setup and tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. Simply turning up the boost screw isn’t enough to fully optimise the engine

Finally, ask yourself how much power you actually need... I’ve found these engines go pretty damn well even at lower boost pressures. It’s not a race car... the higher the power level the less reliability and engine life you have. If you want grunt, drop in a LS motor which saves a LOT of cash up front and covers the cost of a lot fuel.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the 12HT and 1HDT for their drivability and low down grunt, but they are not “fast” engines.

Edit - and I know it’s all the rage to have a front mount air to air intercooler, but water to air intercooling done PROPERLY can give better results for a turbo diesel. The problem is the vast majority of w2a setups are s*** and obviously give poor results...

I'd say you should expect 120 rwkw, maybe a bit more, which would be almost double stock.

Just my personal opinion... but while boost figures are a good indication of power levels there is a lot more too it. If you’re bored, go checkout some of the diesel videos posted by banks power on YouTube.

Basically, you can make as much or more power with less boost level by removing restrictions, optimising the turbo choice, having the best flowing/largest intercooler possible etc.

One example on the 12HT, spend some time with a dremal cleaning up the head, specifically the intake section of the runners. By rounding the edges carefully you can increase flow/decrease resistance substantially. I can post up some info when I get home on changing the standard throttle body for a much larger mustang unit which again decreases pumping losses.

Obviously a quality Mandral bent 3” (or 3.5”) exhaust with a high flowing dump pipe is essential.

Another critical aspect is getting the pump setup and tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. Simply turning up the boost screw isn’t enough to fully optimise the engine

Finally, ask yourself how much power you actually need... I’ve found these engines go pretty damn well even at lower boost pressures. It’s not a race car... the higher the power level the less reliability and engine life you have. If you want grunt, drop in a LS motor which saves a LOT of cash up front and covers the cost of a lot fuel.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the 12HT and 1HDT for their drivability and low down grunt, but they are not “fast” engines.

Edit - and I know it’s all the rage to have a front mount air to air intercooler, but water to air intercooling done PROPERLY can give better results for a turbo diesel. The problem is the vast majority of w2a setups are s*** and obviously give poor results...

Hey @Feistl ,

Did you have a chance to post the mustang throttle body? Would be interested in seeing that.

Cheers.

Thanks all for the time taken to provide feedback, suggestions and opinions!
I will speak to my engine builder and make decisions based on comments here, his recommendations, cost and benefit!
For anyone interested, I will post results as to what I deduced to get done, seat of the pants feel and dyno figures once it is complete...
This will be sometime in August...

FC978B2E-05B2-4598-A601-2A76EDCB447B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom