12HT - oil leak at sandwhich plate behind timing gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I have a 12H-T motor that has developed a significant oil leak where the timing plate butts up to the front of the engine block.
I’ve looked in the workshop manual to understand the disassemble process.
Can anyone please suggest the steps to removing the timing gears and timing case?.
Do I actually need to remove the automatic timer gear, or can the gear case be removed over it?
Also can the cam shaft stay in the block Or does it need to come out to get the sandwich plate off?
Reason I ask about the automatic time, the manual says I need a SST special removal tool, which nobody seems to have.
Apologies in advance if I’ve missed an old thread in this topic.
If anyone can help,
Cheers

75F4FD91-228A-4E39-8E6F-94400363DD53.png

Quote Reply
Report •••
[IMG alt="cruiserpilot"]https://cdn-xf.ih8mud.com/data/avatars/m/6/6781.jpg?1430840372[/IMG]
cruiserpilot

27 minutes ago
I can’t help, but post this a couple threads down in the diesel / 24 V section and probably get
an answer

Like Quote Reply

Remove formatting

BoldItalicUnderline

Text colorFont size

Insert linkInsert imageGallery embedSmiliesInsert

AlignmentListInsert table

UndoRedo

Toggle BB code

Write your reply...

Post reply Preview
Attach files
Share:
FacebookTwitterRedditPinterestTumblrWhatsAppEmailLink
Forum software by XenForo™ © 2010-2019 XenForo Ltd.

I would place engine at number one top dead center then pull the front timing cover and then pull the injection pump as a whole with the auto timer attached so as to avoid removing it and having to time it. The sandwich plate you are referring to is actually the whole oil pump/housing assembly so the camshaft will need to come out. You could possibly try to remove the cam shaft gear and leave the shaft itself in place but i would not recommend it. My 87 fix up thread in my signature has photos of all the assembly and disassembly if needed.

I would place engine at number one top dead center then pull the front timing cover and then pull the injection pump as a whole with the auto timer attached so as to avoid removing it and having to time it. The sandwich plate you are referring to is actually the whole oil pump/housing assembly so the camshaft will need to come out. You could possibly try to remove the cam shaft gear and leave the shaft itself in place but i would not recommend it. My 87 fix up thread in my signature has photos of all the assembly and disassembly if needed.
Gday roma042987 , thanks for the info - I cannot find your thread, if you could send me the link to it I’d love to have a read.
Thank you

Its in his signature under his last post where it says "60 fix up thread", but you could ask which one of the 30 pages it is so you dont have to read the whole lot.

A little tip if you want to hold the engine in place so it cant move. Lock the engine in 5th gear high with the wheels chocked and hand brake on full.

A couple of thoughts- number one is to make sure your crankcase is venting freely, and that the pipe that comes out of the top cover and into the intake is not kinked - (not exactly sure how it works on a 12 HT, I've got a 2H)

When I installed a turbo on my 2H, the supplied crankcase vent tube was too short and kinked, which blew my timing cover inner gasket and created a very effective oil leak.
Because of the stupid amount of work to replace that gasket, I ignored it until I rebuilt the entire engine a few years after the turbo install.
When the engine was apart I realized that the pressure had blown a little chunk of the gasket out and it was leaking in one spot, but with the breather working properly, there actually wasn't a ton of pressure there, and I think you might have success cleaning off the leaky spot very well with brake cleaner and alcohol, and just gooping up that spot with a sealant of your choice.

Just an (unproven) idea that wouldn't take much time to try, and might save a ton of effort to replace that gasket...

A couple of thoughts- number one is to make sure your crankcase is venting freely, and that the pipe that comes out of the top cover and into the intake is not kinked - (not exactly sure how it works on a 12 HT, I've got a 2H)

When I installed a turbo on my 2H, the supplied crankcase vent tube was too short and kinked, which blew my timing cover inner gasket and created a very effective oil leak.
Because of the stupid amount of work to replace that gasket, I ignored it until I rebuilt the entire engine a few years after the turbo install.
When the engine was apart I realized that the pressure had blown a little chunk of the gasket out and it was leaking in one spot, but with the breather working properly, there actually wasn't a ton of pressure there, and I think you might have success cleaning off the leaky spot very well with brake cleaner and alcohol, and just gooping up that spot with a sealant of your choice.

Just an (unproven) idea that wouldn't take much time to try, and might save a ton of effort to replace that gasket...

Thanks Freewheel - you’re exactly correct.
It’s like a little chunk of the original gasket just blew out leaking the oil out at a rate of knots..

I did what you said and have it a good clean up with brake cleaner, then smeared some oil resistant gasket sealer.
It’s stemmed the leak for now, but I’ll get it fixed properly as I’m planning a big trip during Easter.
Thanks again.

Let us know how it holds- I'm impressed by your diligence to repair it, but it would be good to know if it could be a longer term fix for those of us who are little less willing to pull all that timing gear apart just to repair a leaky gasket.
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom