12ht engine oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi guys i have done a search and nothing answered my question. i would like to know what is the best oil for a 12ht. i have been using penrite 15w50 which is a semi synthetic and it has been running fine on that, however i have been talking to a few people and they are saying that a full mineral oil is best for older diesel engines so i am thinking of changing to penrite 20w60 which i a mineral oil.what would you guys recommend, she has done 500,000km and apparently was rebuilt at 400,000km.
cherz jason

im running mobil rally formula 5w-50 full synth and i know alot of ppl who run the same oil in 3b's and 2h's... works perfectly...

I run Shell Rotella T 15W40. It is great oil. They make a synthetic version too. My friend is a heavy duty mechanic and they run Rotella T in all their BIG equipment, Dozers, Excavators, Grators, Scrapers, etc.

Ben

It's meant to have 15/40. I'd be cautious about 20/60 with the turbo as you need to ensure you get good oil in there. Too thick in cool weather won't do it any good. You'd only use 20/60 in a new motor like yours in really high ambient temps with high under bonnet temps on a hard working motor IMHO..

I use any good 15/40 diesel oil.. Castrol RX most often..

Tim

jason tincey said:
hi guys i have done a search and nothing answered my question. i would like to know what is the best oil for a 12ht. i have been using penrite 15w50 which is a semi synthetic and it has been running fine on that, however i have been talking to a few people and they are saying that a full mineral oil is best for older diesel engines so i am thinking of changing to penrite 20w60 which i a mineral oil.what would you guys recommend, she has done 500,000km and apparently was rebuilt at 400,000km.
cherz jason

I found this on the Australian Penrite site

////////
HPR DIESEL
High viscosity formulation offering greater protection for older diesel engines. Ideal for extreme climates, high loads or oil consumption problems with conventional viscosity grades. Suitable for turbocharged engines too.
SAE 20W-60, API CH-4/SJ, ACEA A3/B3, M2C 911-A1, Global DLD-1

///////////

My take on 'older' is meaning high km travelled, in particular because they also say "oil consumption problems with conventional viscosity grades". So, if you have a high km engine that is burning a bit of oil, then 20w/60 is suitable. Your engine is new at 100,000km, stick to 15w/40.

Tim

alright cherz guys will stick to what im using
jason

important stuff about 25W60 oil ( I only seen this in Castrol ) I would use it only in a high millage engine hi ambien temps and long engine run periods ..

I'd be careful with those Penrite website recommendations.
They seem to look mostly at the age of the engine.
1980s and older = 20w60. (B and H series)
1990s on = 15w50. (1HZ and 1HD etc.)
Most recent = 15w40. (1VD)

If I were you, I'd ask for a specific recommendation asking their (or another company) tech department and give them the details and mileage and rebuild history.

Like Tapage says, 25w60 is pretty heavy.

Would any of you guys recommend Shell Rotella or castrol rx over penrite hpr diesel 15w50.
cherz

Stick to a good 15W-40

Would any of you guys recommend Shell Rotella or castrol rx over penrite hpr diesel 15w50.
cherz

For your climate, Castrol Tection 15W40 will be fine. You will note that it keeps the oil pressure up even when the engine is good and hot. It is also a JASO DH1 rated oil.

The 12HT is actually spec'd for 10W30 oil and it should preferably have an additive package that has lubricity enhancers that are more old school. Newer oils have been stripped of additives like zinc, which are hard on emissions control equipment but good for older engines.

Synthetic or dinosaur oil is a personal choice. The 12HT can certainly run synthetic as it stays quite clean in the DI engine compared with the IDI 3B and 2H which are much harder on the oil.

~John

Delo SAE

Redline 15 - 40

my 12ht now has 5000 mile after an over haul. i am thinking of going synthetic oil i am currently using delo 15-40. i am thinking of switching to synthetic redline 15 - 40. is anyone using this? what is the experience?:cheers:

Castrol RX super is good oil you wont go wrong with it , however I run cat 15w40 in mine (1HZ) it's cheaper for me to but it than RX Super . I work for the Cat dealer in QLD so I get it a bit cheaper :)

You wont know if the oil is good or bad until you have done 200000miles.Stick with a well known brand and you should be ok.
12HT take anything from 5-30 to 20-50 depending on your temp range
Never use the 5-30 above 0.C (32F) on turbocharged engines
(page LU3 FSM)

Delo 400 is still one of the few oils that meet the old JASO standard for these older engines. It has the additives, that John referred to, which are required for these older engines.

Rotella T 15/40 is as well.
But not the 10-30 unless that has changed.
I'll check in the morning when I go work on my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom