12HT dying on uphills? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any usual suspects for an hj61 that is dying when it goes up hills? At first I thought it might be related to the oil pressure cut off switch, as the oil pressure gauge has always been low. But I found a bad wire on the sender, and also learned that the cutoff is from a different sensor apparently.

So now we are thinking fuel issues maybe. Just replaced the fuel filter, but it looked really clean & perfect. not gunked up at all. Was thinking of changing fuel lines, but even they all look pretty new.

Any other usual suspects? It starts right off the bat & idles great. Drives on flats around town well too.

Any insights would be much appreciated! Also, do I need to bleed the fuel system again if I change the soft lines, but still have the filter full of fuel, or will it bleed itself while running due to the fuel return line?
Thanks!
Erica & Abe

Are there any usual suspects for an hj61 that is dying when it goes up hills? At first I thought it might be related to the oil pressure cut off switch, as the oil pressure gauge has always been low. But I found a bad wire on the sender, and also learned that the cutoff is from a different sensor apparently.

So now we are thinking fuel issues maybe. Just replaced the fuel filter, but it looked really clean & perfect. not gunked up at all. Was thinking of changing fuel lines, but even they all look pretty new.

Any other usual suspects? It starts right off the bat & idles great. Drives on flats around town well too.

Any insights would be much appreciated! Also, do I need to bleed the fuel system again if I change the soft lines, but still have the filter full of fuel, or will it bleed itself while running due to the fuel return line?
Thanks!
Erica & Abe
HI
CHECK VSV ON INTAKE

do you have a boost gauge? Is your turbo leaking anywhere? What about a plugged air intake/filter?

i had this issue. mine was cause by fuel starvation. i installed an electric fuel pump just after the fuel tank. i just keep it on most of the time. or when i feel fuel starvation i just hit the switch to turn it on. also makes bleeding the system easier. just by turning the electric fuel pump on.

i had this issue. mine was cause by fuel starvation. i installed an electric fuel pump just after the fuel tank. i just keep it on most of the time. or when i feel fuel starvation i just hit the switch to turn it on. also makes bleeding the system easier. just by turning the electric fuel pump on.

Which means the feed pump attached to the injection pump is toast.

Also, do I need to bleed the fuel system again if I change the soft lines, but still have the filter full of fuel, or will it bleed itself while running due to the fuel return line

I doubt its your soft lines. It would be much easier to gently blow air through them from tank to injection pump to see if there obstructions. And you would have fuel problems all the time.

Have you tried elevating the front of your car to see if you can replicate the problem?
If the feed pump is tired , an incline could be making it struggle. But generally these pumps are long lasting.

Sometimes when the angle of a car changes, something can move to block the fuel pick up.
You could drain the tank and remove the fuel pick up for inspection.

Its always a gamble on how much air is in the system after you have worked on it.
I'm not sure if the 12HT has a bleed screw on the fuel pump, good if it does. Its better to leave the injector lines alone.
You can use a lot of cranking power trying to dry start them.

There is also a small filter screen in the fuel tank on the end of the pickup tube
Mine was blocked with sediment, causing fuel starvation and hesitation on hills and acceleration.
you'll need to drop the tank and remove pick up tube to access
Regards

There is also a small filter screen in the fuel tank on the end of the pickup tube
Mine was blocked with sediment, causing fuel starvation and hesitation on hills and acceleration.
you'll need to drop the tank and remove pick up tube to access
Regards

Mine was blocked with sediment,
Thus causing fuel starvation and hes

Which means the feed pump attached to the injection pump is toast.

As a blanket rule...not always.

A fellow on Mud did a 13T swap into a 60 years ago. He used two fuel filters and was having issues. I also know of the same thing happening just recently to a fellow with a 2H powered 60 close to me. As a test they remove the 2nd filter from the equation and all was good. Stock feed pump was fine, just had trouble drawing through the finer 2nd filters when added. Nothing wrong with a pusher pump. Just make sure it is one that if/when fails its in the open position, like the Walbro's.

OP, you don't mention a 2nd fuel filter, so all the advice on areas to check and eliminate would be wise. You're still using the stock filter?

hth's
gb

Thanks everyone! Fuel Starvation was the answer for the win! The OEM fuel filter was super clean, but then I found a secondary filter someone had added just in front of the water separator. Basically they cut away a chunk of hard line & added in an extra filter. It was full of garbage & I couldn't blow through it with any amount of effort. It looked like rubber particulate from the soft lines by the tank (black & kind of rubbery), so I'll replace those soon. But the good news is a new filter there made it run like a top again!
Thanks to everyone for the insight!

Hi mate pull the drain plug on the tank and drain a gallon into a tub checking for water,crap and maybe a fuel bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom