12HT and 1HZ Diesel conversions for American market (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

disagree. In my experience on average the 2H uses less. My HJ47 troopy fully loaded with roof rack, full wrap around scrub bars and bullbar made from 2" heavy wall water pipe, incoopetating the roof rack and loaded with swags, 2 spares and 4 jerry cans (did a 7.5k toad trip like this) never got worse than 14 l/100. My brother's HJ60 gets 11-12 combined, down below 10 on the highway sometimes. My uncles HJ60 got 11-12 combined always (me driving and filling this is not second hand). It’s fuel usage is pretty much on par with my hdj105 if not better. I've consistently read about people getting these consumption figures in HJ75s, HJ60s and HJ47s. All with a mix of 235/85R16s with the 2Hs if anything much older and more worn. I'd rate my brother's HJ60 on par with most HZJ75s power wise too. I maintain and am a driver of 10 HZJ7*s at work, along with an HJ75 and HJ47. I know 60 series are a bit lighter than 105s but not that much and less streamlined.

I never got better than 12.5 l/100km in my hzj105, often up to 14. That's with 265s and corrected, no rack, alloy bar fairly empty. Fully loaded with roof rack 15-16. My hzj79 gets 15 at best after a dyno tune and new injectors (190k on it now). The best I've managed with an hzj75 is 14. The recent brake specific fuel consumption thread also confirms the 2H is ahead. I think the 1HZ is thirsty for what it is.
Wow, i find that hard to believe, those 2h economy figures are astounding. I have had a hj47 myself, both 2h and 12ht and a couple of my mates have owned hj47s with both 2h and 12ht engines. Likewise, there have been at least 2 hj60s that close friends have owned. My cousin also owned a hdj80, and i currently own a hzj75.

As far as fuel economy goes with a 2h, i was getting no better than 16.5L/100km mostly stock, 31s. I also know that my mates/cousins could not better those figures either, with the 12ht bieng pretty much just as thirsty.

As far as the hdj80 goes, @AussieHJCruza would be able to comment on that one, he owned a very tidy rig at one stage of time.

Regarding the 1hz, in my opinion, it's far to slow for the amount of juice it drinks. My 1hz is and has been turbo and intercooled for almost 400,000kms, and i must say that i couldn't be happy with any less power from it. Best tank of fuel 8n 15L/100km. It is also my opinion that turboing the 1hz is fine, so long as the necessary components are used. An intercooler is a must, and adhearing to safe egts, will ensure reliability out of a turbo 1hz.

All the 1HZ's I have owned get 12.5 to 14.5/100 with figures adjusted for speedo error. To get 14 I need strong headwinds. When I have asked HDJ80 owners, they get the same.

I’ve had a 1HZ in my 60 for about a year now, I live at nearly 7000’ elevation. The 1HZ is pretty gutless at this elevation. Traveling to lower elevations the performance gets better. My fuel mileage is 20.5 mile to the gallon. Compared to the 2F which averaged about 13 MPG. I have thought about a turbo for the diesel to improve high altitude performance since I work at 9000’-11,000’ . At those altitudes th engine runs very poorly. Generally I’m happy with the swap, I’m exempt from emissions testing which was a thorn in my side with the 2F . I’m sure if I lived at sea level I’d be a little more pleased with the results of the diesel swap.

I’ve had a 1HZ in my 60 for about a year now, I live at nearly 7000’ elevation. The 1HZ is pretty gutless at this elevation. Traveling to lower elevations the performance gets better. My fuel mileage is 20.5 mile to the gallon. Compared to the 2F which averaged about 13 MPG. I have thought about a turbo for the diesel to improve high altitude performance since I work at 9000’-11,000’ . At those altitudes th engine runs very poorly. Generally I’m happy with the swap, I’m exempt from emissions testing which was a thorn in my side with the 2F . I’m sure if I lived at sea level I’d be a little more pleased with the results of the diesel swap.

Turbo really helped my 3B out west. I easily held 60-65 going up out of ABQ towards Santa Fe up La Bajada on a warm spring day. In July/August I am sure the EGT's would be higher and I'd bring that back to 55 in the 3rd lane. :)

And intercooler will help even more...

I would offer 1HZ, with turbo or without as a business case engine. For purists.

It's an engine with a long life span and support. That is the main reason.

If my 3B tanks tomorrow it will be a 1HZ going in. With a turbo. There is just more parts and support for this engine everywhere.

I Havn't gotten close to that mileage with a hj60 over the last year might get down to 13l/100km on a run generally between 14-15 corrected speedo shortish trips lots of hills and corners. Takes a while to build speed when it finally does there's usually a hill and it's gone pretty quick...
Truck is stock except 32s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom