12HT and 1HZ Diesel conversions for American market

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by MCJakeCrim, Oct 21, 2018.

1. mryanangel

mryanangel SILVER Star

i get 23mpg out of my Cummins 12V 6BT powered 80. Total loaded weight in north of 8000lbs.

PRADO3 likes this.
  2. Indestructible 47

Indestructible 47 the 40 - the old cattle truck

Wow, i find that hard to believe, those 2h economy figures are astounding. I have had a hj47 myself, both 2h and 12ht and a couple of my mates have owned hj47s with both 2h and 12ht engines. Likewise, there have been at least 2 hj60s that close friends have owned. My cousin also owned a hdj80, and i currently own a hzj75.

As far as fuel economy goes with a 2h, i was getting no better than 16.5L/100km mostly stock, 31s. I also know that my mates/cousins could not better those figures either, with the 12ht bieng pretty much just as thirsty.

As far as the hdj80 goes, @AussieHJCruza would be able to comment on that one, he owned a very tidy rig at one stage of time.

Regarding the 1hz, in my opinion, it's far to slow for the amount of juice it drinks. My 1hz is and has been turbo and intercooled for almost 400,000kms, and i must say that i couldn't be happy with any less power from it. Best tank of fuel 8n 15L/100km. It is also my opinion that turboing the 1hz is fine, so long as the necessary components are used. An intercooler is a must, and adhearing to safe egts, will ensure reliability out of a turbo 1hz.

3. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    All the 1HZ's I have owned get 12.5 to 14.5/100 with figures adjusted for speedo error. To get 14 I need strong headwinds. When I have asked HDJ80 owners, they get the same.

4. augirthedude

augirthedude

I’ve had a 1HZ in my 60 for about a year now, I live at nearly 7000’ elevation. The 1HZ is pretty gutless at this elevation. Traveling to lower elevations the performance gets better. My fuel mileage is 20.5 mile to the gallon. Compared to the 2F which averaged about 13 MPG. I have thought about a turbo for the diesel to improve high altitude performance since I work at 9000’-11,000’ . At those altitudes th engine runs very poorly. Generally I’m happy with the swap, I’m exempt from emissions testing which was a thorn in my side with the 2F . I’m sure if I lived at sea level I’d be a little more pleased with the results of the diesel swap.

beno likes this.
  5. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator Supporting Vendor GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Turbo really helped my 3B out west. I easily held 60-65 going up out of ABQ towards Santa Fe up La Bajada on a warm spring day. In July/August I am sure the EGT's would be higher and I'd bring that back to 55 in the 3rd lane. :)

And intercooler will help even more...

6. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

I would offer 1HZ, with turbo or without as a business case engine. For purists.

It's an engine with a long life span and support. That is the main reason.

If my 3B tanks tomorrow it will be a 1HZ going in. With a turbo. There is just more parts and support for this engine everywhere.

mryanangel and beno like this.
  7. Earwigg

Earwigg

I Havn't gotten close to that mileage with a hj60 over the last year might get down to 13l/100km on a run generally between 14-15 corrected speedo shortish trips lots of hills and corners. Takes a while to build speed when it finally does there's usually a hill and it's gone pretty quick...
    Truck is stock except 32s

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.