12H-T or LQ9 discussion.... - Now 1HDFTE and biodiesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g turbo had more modern design and flows a lot more air. boost is around 18psi i think. max you can safely get out of the stock ct26 is about 16 but i’m only getting about 12-14. more air helps keep egt down if you don’t turn the fuel
up too much!

Doing some more research on the topic of swaps again with fuel prices being what they are, and starting with an investment in refining biodiesel. I have a few friends locally who would help with the financial aspect of it and a few other avenues that could allow me to tuck money away towards a conversion. Should it work out that I can make enough biodiesel to support my driving habits, a diesel would be no question. So the next marathon of research would be a 12HT (lots of pros but the difficulty in sourcing parts is a BIG con for me with as long as I expect to still be driving my 62) or holding out even longer to afford a 1HDFTE with intercooler and the G turbocharger.

Being direct electronic injection, the 1HDFTE would require me to be much more careful about quality control with the bio I'd be making, as new direct injected diesels are very sensitive to any glycerides remaining in the final product. The older mechanical stuff is much more forgiving (as would've been a Mercedes OM617 if I'm ever able to source the mid 80s 300D Turbo I still want). The upside to having to make higher quality bio would allow me to provide it to friends who also have newer diesel engines.

You could drop in a gm 6.5 turbo. Not extremely powerful but can run on just about anything and is cheap.
I've had someone else suggest that actually. Hadn't done any research into that one, but years ago I had my heart set on a 4BT and had subsequently abandoned that. I may dig into the research I did on that again and delve into comparing pros and cons of different diesel options. I'm going to start experimenting with small batches of biodiesel and investigating how easily I can get large quantities of WVO locally (and how much I can realistically get) later this summer because I'm really curious about the chemistry involved and the quality control level I can achieve in my shop. And if I 86 the idea at least it'll have been something fun to play with for a bit.

C'mon @cruisermatt I'm nuts but at least it's a fun nuts :lol:

i have an om617 going into my 40. i think it’s a perfect engine for that. i would be worried it’s underpowered for a 60 series loaded with gear and even a small trailer. i loved how it drove when it was in my car so i’m really wanting to finish my 40 project so i can drive it again. i’d look for something a little stronger for a 60 though. that’s my 2 cents anyway. apparently they run really well on veggie oil though

i have an om617 going into my 40. i think it’s a perfect engine for that. i would be worried it’s underpowered for a 60 series loaded with gear and even a small trailer. i loved how it drove when it was in my car so i’m really wanting to finish my 40 project so i can drive it again. i’d look for something a little stronger for a 60 though. that’s my 2 cents anyway. apparently they run really well on veggie oil though
I like the OM617 engine a lot. That's specifically what I'm looking for in a mid 80s 300DT if I can ever get my hands on one. I wouldn't have thought it'd be stout enough for a 40 series so I'm really curious to see what your thoughts are on it when you're finished. What tranny do you plan to use behind it?

i’ve got an nv4500 with an atlas transfercase. i’ve overbuilt it for sure. i got a dieselmeken pump and a holset x30. should be able to make 200-225hp with it according to “numbers”. we’ll see

the biggest problem with it is the front sump clearance on the axle. you need to go spring over or a big lift to get it to clear. i wanted spring over anyway. will run 35s

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom