120 amp Alt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.binarydesigninc.com
I just picked up a new alternator from Checker (Kragen / Schucks). And when I went to install it the flyer in the box said that due to a core shortage of the OE fj-62 alternator they have repalced the OE design with an internal fan, 120 amp version. This is the Beck Arnley p/n 1860449 that lists for $227 with an $85 core charge.

alt 1860449

I'll report back with how well it works after I have a few miles on it.

Well I've driven it around today and the power output is substancial compared to my old stock unit, but some of that could be age. Now at idle I get the same power I was getting before while driving and while driving the electrical system is much stronger. And, most importantly, my A/C on high is really pushing some air now!!!!! (live in Tucson)

Cool. So how does that compare to an OEM Toyota alternator, in terms of output and price?

And any idea if I can use that alternator in my FJ60?

This is pretty much only a 62 thing. Can't you carbed 60 guys can just put in GM alt's? Anyways the OEM output is 80 amps and I was quoted $300 by my local dealer. So this is 40 amps more and $100 less, also comes with a Lifetime warranty but I would certainly prefer to never use that.

stock 3fe is 80 amps

Dan M, ran that same alt, he ended up with some low voltage issues I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom