12" or 14" aux electric fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a 12" or 14" aux electric fan they want to get rid of? I'm going on a 3 day trip this coming weekend and poor planning has put me in position to either pay $100+ for a new one or check the scrap yards. Figured I'd check here first. Any brand in working condition will do, especially in the 12" variety. 14" I'd have to check dimensions but most should fit with minimum trimming.

Get a Spal pusher. They are made in Italy and are sealed units from water and dust

If you haven't done so, do the fan clutch mod. It's cheap, easy and you'll get much more bang for the buck than you will with an electric.

Blue fan clutch was done a few years ago. Last year I changed the oil to 30K weight. The fan is as stiff as Michael Jackson in a petting zoo and it pulls air so hard the Cruiser would take flight if it had wings. AC still sucks balls at idle in traffic and low speeds. With no air moving over the condenser it just doesn't cut it when temps get above 100 degrees outside. Engine temps are fine no matter the temps outside or the workload put on the engine. I can drive up the hill to Sunset Point and my digital gauge never goes above 195. This is strictly for AC performance.

Blue fan clutch was done a few years ago. Last year I changed the oil to 30K weight. The fan is as stiff as Michael Jackson in a petting zoo and it pulls air so hard the Cruiser would take flight if it had wings. AC still sucks balls at idle in traffic and low speeds. With no air moving over the condenser it just doesn't cut it when temps get above 100 degrees outside. Engine temps are fine no matter the temps outside or the workload put on the engine. I can drive up the hill to Sunset Point and my digital gauge never goes above 195. This is strictly for AC performance.

You have more than ample air flow, that would suggest another issue. You might want to get the AC checked out. Mine was filled with 20 cst several years ago and the AC still blows cold even at idle.

I've debated this topic ad nauseam and for most of you guys the blue fan clutch mod with a heavy weight oil and no aux fan works great. But for others, it does not. I've learned a lot from those multitude of threads on the topic, and the input from Kevin and others has been invaluable but I'm really done discussing it. Kerry (GotMud) and I replaced the entire AC system two years ago. The AC rocks like a champ and has no issues. For my particular Land Cruiser, the blue fan clutch mod isn't enough to blow cold AC temps at low speeds.

is your condensor single or double pass?

Huh - not sure. It's gotta be OEM. I've never replaced it. That's the only part of the cooling system that didn't get replaced two years ago. It did give it a thorough washing -- put a 90 degree elbow on the end of a garden hose and ran it behind the condenser. The fins are in good condition with about 90-95% of them straight. I'll probably replace it, eventually, but they aren't cheap and it's not a quick and easy job.

I'm thinking if your clutch fan pulls as hard as you say then another fan isnt going to help much. Had this same issue on a Vintage Air system in an old truck. An added elect fan helped a touch, but was still lame in summer traffic. I chalked it up to poor design with an undersize coondensor. The condensor can only exchange so much heat on its given surfaces. At some point even hurricane force wont pull more heat. Making matters worse is the air coming through at the stop light is super heated from the pavement and other cars.

I've had one on there before and it worked well for reducing the AC temps. It failed a few years ago and is actually the precipitating event that led me to doing the fan clutch mod in the first place. I've increased the oil weight two times in the three years since I first did the mod, and then coupled with the AC system replacement two years ago I've done everything but replace the condenser. Ultimately, I think the difference between my rig and others who successfully are just going with the fan clutch mod is that my condenser just isn't 100% efficient. If adding a simple $40 electric fan in front of it (wiring is already in place) gives me better low speed AC performance I think that's the path of least resistance right now when compared to spending $250 for a new condenser and going through the hassle of purging/recharging the AC system.

Adding an aux electric fan is always a good idea regardless of whatever mod you've done to your clutch fan.

Ohhhh, now you opened a can of worms. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom