12.5 wide tires on stock rims... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saw this on craigslist in Atlanta, and the seller is running 35x12.5x15 BFG all terrain on the stocker rim. Seems to be pretty rare. Some of the guys on Pirate back in the day talking about "doing it all of the time". I think it looks good, but rim is obviously too narrow. What's the rub, here? (no pun intended, looking at his height to tire ratio)

00303_amn3nfeNtPd_600x450.jpg

Pretty common to run wide tires on an 8 or 10 inch rim offroad. It basically acts like a beadlock without buying beadlocks. Its a lot harder to lose a bead on em with that setup. I used to run like 12.5 inch wide tires on stock chromies and dropped air pressure low with no issues

kinda surprised a tire shop would mount them up nowadays.

Ya I believe 4” or maybe 4.5” wider than the wheel is the rule of thumb for tire shops. I ran 33x12.50s on my stock wheels for a while....also ran inner tubes, neither is advisable...but I had my reasons $$

Done it many times. Works!

Only drawback is increased squirming of the tires since the sidewalls are not as upright and wearing of the tread center's more. Otherwise, I prefer running a 6 or 7" wide rim on a 10-12" wide tire. Keeps the beads seated better, allows the tire to give a lot more off road and keeps rocks and mud out of the beads very well.

I’m currently running 33x12.50 on the stock chrome rims on one of mine. 31x10.50 on the other. The truck on 33’s rides nicer than the 31.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom