115k mi maintenance by Toy dealer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
and car is fresh for another 100k mi.
Only thing I needed was a drive belt ($10.43) and battery (85.00). Strange thing is they use something called "Toyota True Start" OEM battery. Supposely same grade as a OEM Panasonic that came with the car.
Engine performance, Oil Change, Alignment(4wheel), Valve adjustment/clean, Body frame retorque/lube, All Fluid change(Brake, Coolant, Tranny, Differential (Front, center, rear), power steering, Brake maintenance, Fuel injection cleaning.
I had a coupon for it and it came out $347.11.
I know alot of thing that I could have done but my garage is wet(snow) and freezing to work in.

I'd like to see a 4 wheel alignment on a live axle truck. All they can do without taking apart the front end is a toe adjustment.

[quote author=MNCruiser link=board=2;threadid=9546;start=msg83578#msg83578 date=1073072250]
Strange thing is they use something called "Toyota True Start" OEM battery. Supposely same grade as a OEM Panasonic that came with the car.
[/quote]
Let me emphasize `supposedly.' I have one also and it's nothing on the likes of my ol' Panasonic (which I liked very much). I often need to jump the OEM Toyota one with my Wally-World deep-cylce (I have dual batteries), and it's only two years old.

I'm not very impressed with the new Toyota battery vendor.

[quote author=MNCruiser link=board=2;threadid=9546;start=msg83578#msg83578 date=1073072250]
Strange thing is they use something called "Toyota True Start" OEM battery. Supposely same grade as a OEM Panasonic that came with the car.
[/quote]
Let me emphasize `supposedly.' I have one also and it's nothing on the likes of my ol' Panasonic (which I liked very much). I often need to jump the OEM Toyota one with my Wally-World deep-cylce (I have dual batteries), and it's only two years old.

I'm not very impressed with the new Toyota battery vendor.

I asked for a frame retorquer for Christmas and didn't get one...

I'm just wondering if they included the muffler bearing repack with that frame retorque?

Adrian,

For your education and peace of mind, you should have them elaborate on exactly what they did on these:

A. Engine performance,
B. Valve adjustment/clean,
C. Brake maintenance,
D. Fuel injection cleaning.

I'm not implying that you didn't get your $347 worth but you really need to know exactly what was done otherwise you might assume you have new pads at all 4 wheels when all they did was inspect the linings to see if they were worn out.

I will bet you a pint of Boddington's that they didn't adjust and clean the 24 valves in the head. You might have got your PCV valve checked and cleaned though. Big difference.

-B-

I'm curious if they would really check the valves and adjustment em for that price.
I'm always the skeptic. :eek: . . . can't help it.

R

What was the coupon for? From the services described, it must have been a 50% off or greater coupon? No way did they pull and clean the fuel injectors for that. Ditto check and adjust the valves. I'm even betting that they didn't change the tranny and brake fluids - merely checked their level. I'm a skeptic, but this sounds like a glorified "100 point inspection" to me.

As above, I would be very curious to hear what was actually done vs checked.

DougM

Valve Adjustment - Remove valve cover replace valve cover gaskets adjust distance between cam shaft and valves. Adjust valve clearance.

Alignment - Position vehicle on alignment rack. Adjust camber, caster and toe-in to spec for front suspension.

Battery - Toyota True Start 2years 100% replacement and 7years defective warranty for replacement.

Engine performance - charging system, drive belt inspect and replace.

Brake maintenance - Inspect and replace pads and rotors as necessary. Front pads replaced.

These are the description of the work done. I have waited for the service and asked for the service tech to show me what was wrong if there were any. I have seen the new pads replaced, battery replaced, all the fluid(power steering, tranny, coolant, brake, differentials) replaced, drive belt replaced. This is the dealer where they have the glass window through the serivce area and I was lucky to have my vehicle right in front of me working on.

Adrian,
Even if the belt and battery were extra, you got a good deal at $347 for a service that included adjusting the valves, aligning the front end, replacing front pads, and all new fluids. How long did all this take the mechanic to complete?

The True Start is supposed to be a good battery. C-Dan likes his.

It looks like I owe you a pint of Boddingtons. :D
-B-

They are just listing standard boiler plate on the work order. The 80's only have toe-in/out adjustment. How did they adjust caster and camber? They should have provided all the readings before and after each of those items. They may have checked the valves but I doubt any adjustment was done which normally would not be required at 115k. For history sake it would have been nice to have the clearances recorded on each of the valves for comparison for the next time. Only one belt replaced? Not a good thing as there are three and would be wise to change them at the same time. I always want to see the old parts.

Everybody's a skeptic it seems, including yours truly. That's 5 hours of work I'd guess, since the valve cover must come off and a measurement taken on 24 valves, then drop the tranny pan for proper fluid change/clean, bleed brake fluid, change and then bleed PS system, etc, etc. Plus it went to the alignment rack and so on. 5 hours of work is $400 in most urban areas today.

I dunno. Your initial post noted several items that did not show on the post where you described "work done". For instance, "work done" doesn't mention the brake fluid, tranny fluid, PS fluid, coolant, diffs, etc.

Anyhow, if all that stuff was done, you got a rippin' deal. The valve job alone would have cost you that much. Good job.

DougM

I know I was there for almost all day. I wanted to see and make sure work was done. I know it would have been nice if they gave me a spec of everything but no mechanic does that as far as I know. I have seen the belt and correction, all three were replaced.
It was a Toyota Gold card Member discount that I got fro this specific dealer since my wife used to own a Rav4 and I used to own another 94 LC previously. They gave me the GOld card since my wife's got her maintenance done at this dealer religously.
They even offered loaner car but I wanted to see what actually goes on my vehicle since I am NOT a efficient DIY'er or knows alot on auto mechanism. At least I can do is observe and try to learn.

I had my valves checked at 100K miles (cold). I helped do the job, aren't I wonderful. My engine did not even look used at 100K and the valves were right in the middle of the range. I understand that some of the Toyota mechanic's are so good that they can adjust your valves while the engine is running, (Just like a Cardiologist :flipoff2:) I would not worry to much about the valve adjustment, I would worry about other members catching you associating with a Toyota dealership. :D :flipoff2: :doh: Seems to be a problem :ban:

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=9546;start=msg84793#msg84793 date=1073319270]
I understand that some of the Toyota mechanic's are so good that they can adjust your valves while the engine is running,
[/quote]

Hope you aren't being serious; I'll give $1000 to the first guy that can make the LC engine run with the intake tube removed (required to pull the valve cover) and swap shims at the same time; much less check the clearances with a feeler gauge with the engine running.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom