Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Every option has pros and cons.

I started out sleeping in a ground tent. hated the setup and tear down.

Then moved to a fold over style roof top tent. Hated the setup and tear down. And the aerodynamics.

So i bought a m416 trailer and built it out. New suspension, tailgate, water, power and an elevated rack over the bed. Moved the RTT there. Of all my setups this one lasted the longest. But a trailer on the trail will get old real quick. You have to plan things differently. Plus, again, i began to hate the setup and tear down. So i sold it.

so...back the basics. Sleeping setup inside the truck. Packing light. Enjoying the destination. That’s where I’ve been last two years. I’ll be picking up my Terrapod RTT (wedge style, 5” height closed) in about two weeks, but sticking with the minimalist approach even once that’s added. Pack light, travel light.

I want to avoid it being about the gear, and make sure to focus on the trip and destination. And sunrises. And sunsets. And campfires. And good friends. And whiskey. And coffee. And the views.

just my 2c

speaking of sunrises the one I’m looking at right now does not suck
F198DCAF-51CD-4757-AF9F-F4188C2ADA66.jpeg

Every option has pros and cons.

I started out sleeping in a ground tent. hated the setup and tear down.

Then moved to a fold over style roof top tent. Hated the setup and tear down. And the aerodynamics.

So i bought a m416 trailer and built it out. New suspension, tailgate, water, power and an elevated rack over the bed. Moved the RTT there. Of all my setups this one lasted the longest. But a trailer on the trail will get old real quick. You have to plan things differently. Plus, again, i began to hate the setup and tear down. So i sold it.

so...back the basics. Sleeping setup inside the truck. Packing light. Enjoying the destination. That’s where I’ve been last two years. I’ll be picking up my Terrapod RTT (wedge style, 5” height closed) in about two weeks, but sticking with the minimalist approach even once that’s added. Pack light, travel light.

I want to avoid it being about the gear, and make sure to focus on the trip and destination. And sunrises. And sunsets. And campfires. And good friends. And whiskey. And coffee. And the views.

just my 2c

speaking of sunrises the one I’m looking at right now does not suck
View attachment 2577099
The biggest 4-person ground tent I could find has been the sweet spot for me. I can have it setup and taken down in about 5 minutes. I had a six person for a while but setup, tear-down, and cleaning took exponentially longer. But in my current setup there is enough room for our 4 person fam and a big dog, with minimal setup time, which allows for us to save money/time while traveling.

I'm eyeing a little military trailer build to get around that annoyance.
Like ntsaint said, trailers have their pluses and minuses. Getting weight distribution to tow properly is always a problem and turnarounds on the trail are challenging. I busted the factory rear having to turnaround on medano pass due to a broken down rig. Thankfully, I was blessed to win the dissent rear bumper last year! As far as the fold out tents, its a five minute setup and takedown when they're at chest height after you get used to it. I keep the window rods and stakes in an extra fly fishing rod tube. I'm the 4th or 5th owner of this trailer from 'mud, so I just rewired it and rebuilt the axle and suspension.

I've debated selling mine, but I use it to store all of my camping gear (in clear waterproof bins; one for camp stuff, one for kitchen, & one for clothes) and love being able to just hook up and go. I did find that I was bringing way too much stuff just because I had room for it, so we've been pairing it down to the essentials. Here's a pic from HIH8 with our trailers. @ntsaint 's white trailer, @Bloomer 's red trailer and my army green trailer. I hope to have it "finished" by HIHXv2 and install the hot water heater for the 20 gallon tank inside and finish the power box on the tongue.

IMG_20180712_205701.jpg

IMG_20170725_083351549.jpg

IMG_20170616_064943481.jpg

image000000 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Trailer is the way to go IMO, especially if you're setting up in one spot for a few days to explore. The downside then is of course trailer security if you're leaving it. Not an issue at HIH I would imagine but elsewhere it might be a concern
IMG_20191031_185536.jpg
IMG_20191103_073329.jpg

Flexibility is good. If I'm solo I plan to sleep in the back, but for any time I'm with more than just me I have a little Jumping Jack.

PXL_20200919_175855466.jpg

Can have a couple extra long twin type sleeping areas or two full/double sleeping areas or any combination. Easy up, easy down, rugged enough to take down mild trails, small enough it's easy, light enough you could pull it with anything. Can fit a little bit inside the tent when it's folded up, and just about anything on top when it's all folded up. Supposed to be for quads, motorcycles, small side by sides, etc. Doubles as a decent utility trailer too.

Has the registration date for 2021 HIH been revealed yet?
I don't think it has been officially announced.

My guess, from previous history, is that it will be announced in about 3 weeks, I would suspect it will be ~3/14/21 ~5PM PST, but considering what happened last year due to the coronapocalypse, and the issues with those that were registered for HIHX 2020, these may be bad assumptions on my part.

(As far as the camping arrangements, with my bad back, and the daily rains that I observed last year, I've booked a hotel room. We may try camping for a few days, but I'd like to have a plan B, just in case my back or the weather refuse to cooperate.)

Last edited:
Is there a new thread for the HIH this year? I've been searching and searching unsuccessfully. I can't even find details in my email, which is where I thought I had the details. Dates 7/27 - 8/1?

Is there a new thread for the HIH this year? I've been searching and searching unsuccessfully.
Not that I've seen yet.

I can't even find details in my email, which is where I thought I had the details. Dates 7/27 - 8/1?
I believe the proposed dates were in the 2020 cancellation post:

Is there a new thread for the HIH this year? I've been searching and searching unsuccessfully. I can't even find details in my email, which is where I thought I had the details. Dates 7/27 - 8/1?
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 11.21.12 AM.png

A friend reminded me where I recently saw the dates, and they match up with the details from back when HIHX was cancelled:

I wanted to firm up my plans and reservations for a few extra days in the area prior to the event..

Check the insider forum for details.

Cranks or heroes_ The world of conspiracy theories through the eyes of a scholar 640x360.jpg

Shhhhshh🤫

A subforum for HIH attendees with preferential treatment.
But you have to be surreptitiously invited by a late night knock at your door and then you must choose, blue pill or red pill. Choose carefully

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom