Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

any anticipated issues with the 200 series group just announcing their event in ouray, the same dates as HIHX.2 in Silverton? Turfwarz2021!!!!

Being based in Ouray, wouldn't it just displace some of the Jeeps that we'd otherwise see on the trail? Maybe cause a few less "How/Why did you bring 'that' vehicle up here?"

My bigger concern would passing a line of those "fat" 200 series, going the opposite direction on a trail, as they make the typical jeep seem awfully "slender". :)

Being based in Ouray, wouldn't it just displace some of the Jeeps that we'd otherwise see on the trail? Maybe cause a few less "How/Why did you bring 'that' vehicle up here?"

My bigger concern would passing a line of those "fat" 200 series, going the opposite direction on a trail, as they make the typical jeep seem awfully "slender". :)
I think most of those guys will be too busy attending the workshop classes they have like “how to put your truck in low” and “how to change a tire with super-expensive and unnecessary tools if you are out of cell service and can’t get ahold of AAA platinum/diamond service”

Last edited:
I think most of those guys will be too busy attending the workshop classes they have like “how to put your truck in low” and “how to change a tire with super-expensive ;)and unnecessary tools if you are out of cell service and can’t get ahold of AAA platinum/diamond service”
Alright money bags. Remember in the Ozarks when you couldn't put your 200 in low because you had a CEL :doh:

Alright money bags. Remember in the Ozarks when you couldn't put your 200 in low because you had a CEL :doh:
Yeah, but that was because the engine had ingested about 2 gallons of water. Plus techstream cleared it right up (sort of). I doubt the 200 guys will have a class on “how to tow your cruiser out of the woods and remove the intake manifold and spark plugs in the dark at camp to get all the muddy water out and restart the truck” but If they did me, you, @aaronrules and @DirtDawg could teach it! :cool:

Yeah, but that was because the engine had ingested about 2 gallons of water. Plus techstream cleared it right up (sort of). I doubt the 200 guys will have a class on “how to tow your cruiser out of the woods and remove the intake manifold and spark plugs in the dark at camp to get all the muddy water out and restart the truck” but If they did me, you, @aaronrules and @DirtDawg could teach it! :cool:
might've been more than 2 gallons :) fun times!

The only thing I'd worry about is congestion on the trails. Outside of that, it's just more Cruisers to see while in the area/driving across the country. Last year they capped attendance for the first time that I know of, so, barring covid issues, I bet they have close to 100 attendees too. Will be interesting for sure.

GMRS license has now been lowered to $35
No excuse for this to be the way forward from now on for HIH’s. GMRS is way to simple and the fact that the cheap handhelds work means there will be plenty to loan out to all the HAM nerds and people who refuse to let CB go.

I think most of those guys will be too busy attending the workshop classes they have like “how to put your truck in low” and “how to change a tire with super-expensive and unnecessary tools if you are out of cell service and can’t get ahold of AAA platinum/diamond service”
Funny, that sounds awfully similar to what the 80 series owners currently say about 100 series owners, or what 60 series owners used to say about 80 series owners in the mid 1990s, and it will probably be what 200 series owners say about 300 series owners, if they ever reach our shores :)

I've reached out to them via email. I'm a little bummed because we work hard to ensure HIH works around other big events in the area. We're the week after FJ Summit and we always wait for their dates before releasing ours. They have "seniority" in the area since their event has been running for longer than ours. Hard Rock 100 (running race in Silverton) is always the week after HIH. Jeep Jamboree happens every four years and they occupy Kendall as well, so we coordinate around their schedule every four years. We've even coordinated with the Nissan group and the Land Rover Rally directors over the last few years.

There's obviously no rule to any of this and there could be a side-by-side event going on that we never even heard of, but everyone knows the few major groups that occupy that area every summer. If you care about your event and the people attending it, It's not hard to reach out and coordinate with the other events directors.

I've reached out to them via email. I'm a little bummed because we work hard to ensure HIH works around other big events in the area. We're the week after FJ Summit and we always wait for their dates before releasing ours. They have "seniority" in the area since their event has been running for longer than ours. Hard Rock 100 (running race in Silverton) is always the week after HIH. Jeep Jamboree happens every four years and they occupy Kendall as well, so we coordinate around their schedule every four years. We've even coordinated with the Nissan group and the Land Rover Rally directors over the last few years.

There's obviously no rule to any of this and there could be a side-by-side event going on that we never even heard of, but everyone knows the few major groups that occupy that area every summer. If you care about your event and the people attending it, It's not hard to reach out and coordinate with the other events directors.
Stan I gotta tell ya. I attended several big events last year. I’m not gonna name names but 1 was the 3rd largest Toyota event in the US and 1 was in its 29th year. I was very excited. Unfortunately NONE OF THEM WAS EVEN CLOSE to HIH and it’s organization and flow. I was very disappointed. It really showed just how great HIH is and how hard you and @bluecruiser work on making it a success. HIH is by far the best event going. Everyone feels welcomed and it’s just so smooth and fun. Thanks to you guys I’ve made friends at HIH that will last a lifetime.
Thanks again for everything you and Chris do to make the best event in the nation happen.

Stan I gotta tell ya. I attended several big events last year. I’m not gonna name names but 1 was the 3rd largest Toyota event in the US and 1 was in its 29th year. I was very excited. Unfortunately NONE OF THEM WAS EVEN CLOSE to HIH and it’s organization and flow. I was very disappointed. It really showed just how great HIH is and how hard you and @bluecruiser work on making it a success. HIH is by far the best event going. Everyone feels welcomed and it’s just so smooth and fun. Thanks to you guys I’ve made friends at HIH that will last a lifetime.
Thanks again for everything you and Chris do to make the best event in the nation happen.

Thanks Lee. That means a lot. Chris and I are super proud of what HIH has become and there are a ton of people (you included) that help make that happen.

Silverton will always be our home but the trails are getting so busy. Remember when Super Secret was actually a secret? Anyone seen the new Honda commercial? It's Super Secret, South Mineral, Ophir and the river trail.

I've been working on a HIH Montana for a few years. Chris @bluecruiser and Andy @AimCOtaco and Makee @smakee and Alex @dubitup are finally coming around. Tiny town (way smaller than Silverton), incredible scenery, beautiful trails, wolves, grizzly bears, moose, elk, deer, close to Yellowstone, great fly fishing..... but it'll be like starting over in Ironton. No cell service, very limited accommodations, very limited services of any kind. We've been traveling and staying there for years as a family and we know most of the full-time residents now. I've been working with the small Chamber of Commerce on ideas of how to accommodate 50 trucks and 100+ people. Checking out a potential lodge in May.

But first..... HIHX.

Thanks Lee. That means a lot. Chris and I are super proud of what HIH has become and there are a ton of people (you included) that help make that happen.

Silverton will always be our home but the trails are getting so busy. Remember when Super Secret was actually a secret? Anyone seen the new Honda commercial? It's Super Secret, South Mineral, Ophir and the river trail.

I've been working on a HIH Montana for a few years. Chris @bluecruiser and Andy @AimCOtaco and Makee @smakee and Alex @dubitup are finally coming around. Tiny town (way smaller than Silverton), incredible scenery, beautiful trails, wolves, grizzly bears, moose, elk, deer, close to Yellowstone, great fly fishing..... but it'll be like starting over in Ironton. No cell service, very limited accommodations, very limited services of any kind. We've been traveling and staying there for years as a family and we know most of the full-time residents now. I've been working with the small Chamber of Commerce on ideas of how to accommodate 50 trucks and 100+ people. Checking out a potential lodge in May.

But first..... HIHX.
Oh man....I’ve been wanting to get the family up to Wyoming for years now!!!

any anticipated issues with the 200 series group just announcing their event in ouray, the same dates as HIHX.2 in Silverton? Turfwarz2021!!!!

I saw the announcement and the dates and figured I'd ask since I didn't see anyone else do it. The #southernlandcruisers (@ntsaint @Bloomer @MonroeCruiser etc ) appreciate the massive amount of work each of you puts in. A HIH-Wyoming would be epic after visiting new and old friends at HIH-CO since HIH3!

Agree. I'm in for wherever and whenever.

After dipping my toe in the LCDC7 thread just now (reconnaissance baby!) it appears that yes, they didn't even bother checking on HIH dates to see if their date/location conflicted. Nor do they care. Doesn't surprise me honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom