Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got new CV axles in the garage waiting to go in. I'm trying to decide what to do with my power steering rack. I'm torn between installing the new poly bushings I already have and a fluid flush with some AT-205 or just biting the bullet and buying a new rack. If HIH is a go, I'd probably do the new rack, just to be safe. If not, I'd probably just throw the new bushings at the rack I have and see how long I can make it last.

I'm also looking at a lift, but not sure how far down that rabbit hole I want to go. I've got 2865 springs and cranked OEM torsion bars right now and it's just ok. Trying to decide if I should just put a diff drop on with the new CVs and go nuts, but that'll be tricky in the time I have left.
Its a deep rabbit hole- that you can avoid. Mostly the surrounding area we roll on are shelf roads, so a stock rig can clear nearly all of it unscathed (with good wheel placement- and there are spotters in the challenge spots). If your steering rack isn't leaking and isn't in peril of failing- run it and replace it later. Echoing what Stan said earlier, just make sure your brake system is in top shape and you have good tires.

I don't see how they are going to allow a group of 300 (of people from ALL parts of the country) in a town that was one of the most locked down and restricted towns in the entire country. I know some local law enforcement and they said as of today Silverton is very much open for business but honestly I'd be shocked if they allow HIH without some heavy heavy changes to the event. I'm sure Stan and Chris are in the thick of it right now and best wishes to them and thank you guys for your hard work as always!

I’m hoping that if it can’t happen in July it can be rescheduled for later in the year. Not sure about the Rockies, but the Cascades don’t usually see significant snow fall until late October early November.

I’m hoping that if it can’t happen in July it can be rescheduled for later in the year. Not sure about the Rockies, but the Cascades don’t usually see significant snow fall until late October early November.

This area of our state becomes unpredictable as early as late August.

I've got new CV axles in the garage waiting to go in. I'm trying to decide what to do with my power steering rack. I'm torn between installing the new poly bushings I already have and a fluid flush with some AT-205 or just biting the bullet and buying a new rack. If HIH is a go, I'd probably do the new rack, just to be safe. If not, I'd probably just throw the new bushings at the rack I have and see how long I can make it last.

I'm also looking at a lift, but not sure how far down that rabbit hole I want to go. I've got 2865 springs and cranked OEM torsion bars right now and it's just ok. Trying to decide if I should just put a diff drop on with the new CVs and go nuts, but that'll be tricky in the time I have left.
My poly D bushing loosened up after a year. It was so bad that the rack was shifting left to right 1/8"-1/4" and wasted the other bushing because of the movement. I removed them (which was so fun) and replaced them with factory Toyota rubber.

My poly D bushing loosened up after a year. It was so bad that the rack was shifting left to right 1/8"-1/4" and wasted the other bushing because of the movement. I removed them (which was so fun) and replaced them with factory Toyota rubber.
Worth the time just for bushings? I've got a set of Whiteline bushings I was going to use. It's either bushings or a new rack. I'm stuck home, so I figure my time isn't worth as much now, but I figure I can replace the bushings for just a few hours of time and see how it goes.

I'm going to change the oil, replace the PS fluid with some more AT-205 like I did last year, and replace front shocks that have worn bushings. No lift, 20 year old CV axles, no aftermarket skid plates. You don't need to do anything except normal preventative maintenance and have some decent all terrain tires.

My CVs are shot. The splines are cracked and bent over, and the drive plates are all widened out. I have all the parts in the garage, just waiting for good weather and time, both of which should be in steady supply any day now.

I'm sure I'm good to go after that. Almost everything else is just on the "if I'm going to do it anyway, I might as well do it for this trip" list. The steering rack needs to be addressed though. I've got quite a bit of wander and I've been having some random issues of the traction control locking things up around bends in the mountains. No bueno for a trip to the mountains.

I'm going to change the oil, replace the PS fluid with some more AT-205 like I did last year, and replace front shocks that have worn bushings. No lift, 20 year old CV axles, no aftermarket skid plates. You don't need to do anything except normal preventative maintenance and have some decent all terrain tires.

You still haven't replaced those shocks yet?!

Over under on how pages this thread turns into is 40.

Who took the over?

Didn't have my 100 when the registration for all this started, so I won't be there. Hoping to head out this way to Black Canyon and down to some of these trails in June however. Happy to report what I find.

Worth the time just for bushings? I've got a set of Whiteline bushings I was going to use. It's either bushings or a new rack. I'm stuck home, so I figure my time isn't worth as much now, but I figure I can replace the bushings for just a few hours of time and see how it goes.
My rack was new, I replaced it 1 year before the bushings loosened up. When I installed it I used the Whiteline poly. Never again, I will always, and only use Toyota parts. I just figured the poly bushings would be ok though and maybe tighten up the steering.

My rack was new, I replaced it 1 year before the bushings loosened up. When I installed it I used the Whiteline poly. Never again, I will always, and only use Toyota parts. I just figured the poly bushings would be ok though and maybe tighten up the steering.

I didn't think that it was possible to get just the rubber bushings for a steering rack. I just swapped from worn rubber bushings to Whiteline today. I have a 99 and the rear on the driver's side was a little rough to get in! I am hoping that I will have better luck than you did with the Whitelines. The previous owner ran my truck with 35s and Hutchinsons. The weight of that combo ruined the rubber bushings in a new rack he installed in about 20k miles.

You still haven't replaced those shocks yet?!
Haha! Nope. They're sitting in their bags next to the cruiser, just waiting, and waiting.... laughing at me every time I take it out and have to listen to the sound that results from worn out bushings.

We will roll up this weekend and give a report back, will be nice to go in town vs having to stop at the edge of town like we did last weekend. We'll make sure to see Shane(Wyman Hotel)........
Ok, sorry for delay, went into town on Sat., Mostly empty, maybe 1/3 of
IMG_20200530_131344.jpg
business was open, but was good to see things opening up. Good to see folks there all wearing mask.
IMG_20200530_132417.jpg

....our little piece of heaven......

Glad to see things opening up, disagree about wearing masks.

I feel that on the mask thing, in fact here I haven’t shopped at any stores or anything that require them. Not trying to make a statement it just makes me uncomfortable so I peacefully choose to go about my day. Not gona make a scene and go
Guns a blazing about it.

But if that’s what it takes to have HIH it is what it is. A largely unnecessary bar in my estimation but an easy one to manage.

Political commentary here very much craps on the thread (and the event)- especially as the final decision to cancel or proceed is upon the organizers. Considering that organizers are probably discussing in this moment with State and local government how a large group from outlying areas can come together to responsibly and willfully follow state health guidelines. Not helpful.

Last edited:
Sitting here refreshing the page a couple times an hour, waiting to see if we get the word today. Literally not reading anything anyone has to say about COVID/masks or their personal opinions on it all...do I tag Chris or Stan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom