Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I originally posted a generic “confirmed” or something like that.

I have had a rough week. Last Saturday I started to de-winterize the camper and noticed stains on the ceilings which I first thought were a leak but now are actually condensation stains. A little irritated there because I bought it new in July ‘19. Had to leave my home State for work for six weeks the next day and after a drive where my truck broke down on the side of the interstate I got to the campground and it kept tripping main breakers. 24/7 assistance which I have for a year didn’t respond. Had to go back home and come back the next day, got it in to a local dealership where they found the issue and fixed it. Got back to the campground and set up in a downpour.

Woke up the next morning completely soaked from condensation and had to deal with that. Thursday night went to buy a larger propane tank since it was getting into the 20’s and spent four hours after work trying to get the right fittings. Last night my truck door on the passenger side quit opening. Find out around 1pm today that the Illinois Government is forcing all restaurants and bars to close so now I have to get drive through food (which I haven’t eaten in over seven years) or carryout. I’m working 72 hours a week for the next ten weeks and not at home most of them but in my small camper that has been giving me problems. Ok, I’ll adapt. More frequent grocery store trips. Find out two hours later that the same lousy government has closed the State Parks so now I am evicted with no place to stay.

Getting registered is one of the few bright spots this week. After I saw all of the questions I thought I wouldn’t get it done in time, but fortunately I did.

So thanks, and yes, confirmed.

Now I gotta find a place that isn’t run by the State of Illinois and has some hookups.

Nearly had a heart attack when life distractions had me forget to register until about 6:15. Tried and got broken links at first. But then at some point, we got in and were able to snag a spot. Whew! I'd hate for you all to not hear all my latest dad jokes and learn about the various life zones of the San Juan Mountains if I didn't get in and couldn't lead trails.

Got pulled into putting out some fires caused by mass hysteria going on about COVID-19. I couldn't even get online until just now. I am waitlisted in hopes of finding a spot eventually.
Everyone be safe and have fun.

Looking forward to it guys.

84EEB599-B189-4062-88D2-D97A0A6D3CA1.jpeg

The look of stress free contentment and satisfaction on a Monday morning:cool:

98873190-B4D1-4492-BCBB-432DC7C167C5.jpeg

Hang in there @Dparo - a few summer days in the San Juans has way of making the troubles of the world melt away.

Have fun folks. Not making it this year.

If anyone is cruising through Phx, AZ on their way up, and needs anything, feel free to give me a shout. I'm right off i10. Place to crash, place to wrench, a rescue, or just to say hey. I'll be around!

Cannot wait to look at the stats for this year. Looks like a good mix of new and old. It’s gonna be fun!!

Are we gonna see that cool map of the US showing where everyone is coming from?

So excited to be going back , see the mountains, and meet some great people. Now begins the planning and preparations.
So got a question for people familiar with colorado, utah, new Mexico etc. I'm beginning to plan my trip (thinking around 16 days including HIHX) and looking for good places to go to hike and camp and site see. I'll have my dog with me again and we hit 5 national parks last year, which was great but not as dog friendly as I'd like (although he loved the white sands in New Mexico). So thinking state parks or national forests etc?

So excited to be going back , see the mountains, and meet some great people. Now begins the planning and preparations.
So got a question for people familiar with colorado, utah, new Mexico etc. I'm beginning to plan my trip (thinking around 16 days including HIHX) and looking for good places to go to hike and camp and site see. I'll have my dog with me again and we hit 5 national parks last year, which was great but not as dog friendly as I'd like (although he loved the white sands in New Mexico). So thinking state parks or national forests etc?

Well, Great Sand Dunes NP is AMAZING as is Rocky Mountain NP (RMNP is crowded as heck though). They are dog friendly in that you must keep them on leashes, but they are ok on the trails. I take my pup Sydney with me all the time up to Colorado.

Don't limit yourself to the NPs though. The beauty of Colorado is that it is 45%+ publicly owned. This means you have literally hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of miles of off-road trails that traverse NFS and BLM lands. You can camp quite freely and wander trails to your hearts content. I typically camp above Salida and hike the hundreds of miles of trail networks all around that area with my pup (no leash required). The beauty of camping above Salida is that you have central access to TONS of offroad driving, hiking and mountain biking trails. You have awesome high mountain off-road passes within a few miles (Tincup, Old Monarch, Cumberland, Mt Antero, Mt Princenton, Lost Canyon, Mosquito, Hagerman and more). Mt Antero is absolutely amazing! You climb shelf road up to 13,900 feet and can hike the last 200 feet of elevation gain to reach the summit of a 14er. Mt Princeton is similar, but only climbs up to 12,900 feet leaving you an 1100 foot elevation gain hike to reach the summit of that 14er. If you cross Tincup, that takes you to one of the biggest and prettiest high mountain lakes in the Collegiate Range....Taylor Reservoir.

I'm headed to that area on July 17th and will camp for 4 nights and trail run for 4 days before heading down to Silverton for HIHX via an off-road route I mapped and completed last year. You're welcome to join....as is anyone else who wants to join.

Happy to provide GPX/KML files (or share them from GAIA) if you wish.

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4148.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4065.JPG

Col Trails 2019 RW (346).jpg

I was late to registration so I'm wait listed. Regardless of if I get into HIH or not I'll try to make it to Colorado sometime this summer. I'm looking at 2 months minimum of WFH so maybe I can finish my 80 with all this free time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom