10MM Fuel Hose - Is it okay for transmission fluid (power steering) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Azca

If there is a harder way - I will find it...
Threads
Browsing for hardware at Belmetric and found this 10mm hose: RHM10 - Flennor Multi-Fuel Hose 10mm FOOT [73379] - $2.65 : Bel-Metric, Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair - https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-approved-c-14_662/rhm10-flennor-multifuel-hose-10mm-foot-p-17458.html

You can read the specs at the site and Flennor does not provide much more information. If it is suitable for gasoline, would it be okay for the line between the steering pump and reservoir?

Why not just go pic up some Parker or Gates 3/8” transmission fluid hose? It’s worked for many of us and it’s affordable.

Browsing for hardware at Belmetric and found this 10mm hose: RHM10 - Flennor Multi-Fuel Hose 10mm FOOT [73379] - $2.65 : Bel-Metric, Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair - https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-approved-c-14_662/rhm10-flennor-multifuel-hose-10mm-foot-p-17458.html

You can read the specs at the site and Flennor does not provide much more information. If it is suitable for gasoline, would it be okay for the line between the steering pump and reservoir?
I don't have the link but was reading recently in the 80 series section of this forum that fuel line was not recommended for PS fluid. It won't last was the essence of the critique.

Why not just go pic up some Parker or Gates 3/8” transmission fluid hose? It’s worked for many of us and it’s affordable.
It is very difficult to put the 3/8" gates on. The fit should be snug but not so tight that people are resorting to heating the hose and other tricks in an attempt to make it work. I would also think, if you are going to force a hose like this, it will reduce its life expectancy. Anytime you cause elongation of a plastic, rubber etc, you reduce the service life. How long in this application? I have no idea. I just would prefer to use "properly" sized materials where available.

It is very difficult to put the 3/8" gates on. The fit should be snug but not so tight that people are resorting to heating the hose and other tricks in an attempt to make it work. I would also think, if you are going to force a hose like this, it will reduce its life expectancy. Anytime you cause elongation of a plastic, rubber etc, you reduce the service life. How long in this application? I have no idea. I just would prefer to use "properly" sized materials where available.
I had no problem. The difference is less than .5mm. But in that case, oem hoses should used.

3/8” = 9.52mm. Lube it and shove it on.
True four wheelers, if it doesn't fit - FORCE IT! In the process of fitting a new hydro boost and will actually start playing with the hoses tomorrow. This is taking forever, I haven't been able to touch this rig for at least 6 weeks and it has been eating at me...

3/8" hose is approx 9mm ID. It does work on a 10mm ID tube, but is a little more snug than the 9.5mm ID hose that is spec'd for a 10mm tube.

On my current build, 3/8 return hose was used because the return path is 10mm PS box --> 3/8" cooler inlet, 3/8" cooler outlet --> 3/8" filter inlet, 3/8" filter outlet --> 10mm reservoir.

Don’t use fuel hose for trans fluid. The hose will go to crap.

Don’t use fuel hose for trans fluid. The hose will go to crap.
That was my original question. When I happened upon the hose I was hoping it would work for the application and could share, looks like it is a no-go. I already have the Witsend kits, including his derale cooler, for mine along with the hydro boost hose kit from Speed. Will be piecing things together tomorrow...

I've been looking for a domestic source for this hose for years. Please post your results if you find one that doesn't involve buying a compltely new cooling kit.

I just did 3/8 Gates on all of mine and it worked perfectly. Prior to that, I did 3/8 Gates on my last 80 in 2009. A little swipe of fluid on the tubing prior to pushing it on makes the work super easy and I have zero indications that using 3/8 Gates was the incorrect decision.

I used the Gates 3/8's as well but on my power steering...I used ATF on inside of Gates and used a heat gun to heat up ends of hose before pushing em on...prior, it was impossible without doing this, heating up the ends was key!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom