104 octane (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Blow the top of the motor off, or help flush and clean injectors and such? There is a gas station very close that sells it. I'm sure it wouldn't be good to run full time, but i didn't know if mixing it in with regular or just one tank every so often would be beneficial or detrimental. I would run half 104 and half 93 in my motorcycle with great results.

When I was in college I worked at a flying school and people would drive up every so often and put 100/115 in their cars and motorcycles. The aviation mechanics said it did no harm but no benefit either.

Money would be better spent on servicing your injectors, changing your fuel filter or possibly even sea foam.

If you're running some kind of FI, then by all means. go for it!

If not, buy a can of seafoam for $4 and call it a day.

The higher octane does not mean greater cleaning power. It's only a measure of how well the fuel does to prevent detonation. The gov specifies minimal requirements for detergents in gas, and all gas is supposed to have this; some brands will add additional proprietary agents. In fact, if this gas is refined/produced outside of the "normal" channels, I would question whether it was even meant for consumers and if it had the basic additive package... :rolleyes:

Betcha it's expensive too.

:beer: Higher octane means a slower burn rate (hense the prevention of detonation mention by Scamper). Higher compression benefits from higher octane, that is why if you have a S/C you are required to run premium fuel. The blower raises the effective compression ratio under boost conditions. I found a boost compression ratio calculator that gives my effective CR and my altitude.

You are running 5 PSI of boost at an altitude of 4200 feet. Your motor's static compression is 9 :1. At this boost level and altitude your effective compression ratio is -11.22 :1, and without altitude correction your compression ratio would be 12.06 :1.

11.22:1 on 87 octane is looking for trouble really fast!

calculator I used...

I don't think the cleaning aspect will be any better than regular.

If you have higher compression and use a low octane fuel, (such as someone with a supercharger running 87 octane), couldn't you just retard the timing of the engine slightly? I suppose I am missing something, because in theory more air needs more fuel, and timing wouldn't correct for this.

I think I am confusing myself......

It would take more than "slightly" and the engine would run like crap. Retarding the timing will also cause cylinder temperature issues.

What CDAN said!

concretejungle said:
$4.25/gallon

Man with the price of premium where it is now :eek: this entire notion is just way out of my purview as far as reality goes.

reffug said:
Man with the price of premium where it is now :eek: this entire notion is just way out of my purview as far as reality goes.

Yea, can't really afford to do it with the cruiser, besides i'm wishing i could run mcdonald's old french fry oil in my junk.......

Yea, can't really afford to do it with the cruiser, besides i'm wishing i could run mcdonald's old french fry oil in my junk.......

Bio-diesel baby! Not sure what the hell that really is but I think if you had a diesel VW TDI and could make your own it would save you some money!

There's a great thread on bio-diesel in the international forum, explains a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom