100s are tough, but elk hurt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did the insurance company change their mind?
No, but they’ve also not yet notified me how much money they’ll be sending for repairs. When the inspector was here, he said I may need to try to find a couple of quality used body parts because he was going to keep the estimated repair costs below 70% of the total value of the vehicle to prevent it from being totaled by the adjuster.

That makes sense to me now. At first it didn't.

Nice finds on all of these parts, great that you've got an inspector who's willing to work with you.
Extraordinarily lucky. His first question after inspecting the damage was, “what do you want to do?” I said I wanted to fix it and hopefully avoid it being totaled. His response was that he would do everything he could to help make that happen.

Any tips on how to do something similar? I really like the setup!
Thanks! Looking for tips on where to source the parts or how to design/build one?

That’s because this will be a “poor man’s” repair, such that my current plan is to avoid a body shop until the paint stage
Update: I don't think avoiding a body shop until paint stage is going to be possible. After further inspection, I found that the fender apron is tweaked pretty bad. I'm not sure if it needs to be cut out and a new one ($600 for OEM) welded in, or if it can be straightened back out. Either path is beyond my capabilities, so the Cruiser will be heading to a body shop ASAP...

Also, the fuse block is busted (though everything still works). Looks like the impact pushed the battery back into the box. Anybody have a functioning spare that they'd part with? Cheapest I can find new is $500 (P/N: 8272060023).

No!

We forbid it!

Pull a Clarkson and get some (sledge)hammers

No!

We forbid it!

Pull a Clarkson and get some (sledge)hammers
That's potentially still on the table, as is throwing a strap and come-along on it! @Somebodyelse5 is going to come over in the next few days and give a second opinion.

Dropped off the 100 at Augie’s Auto Body and Paint Shop in Mesa this afternoon https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Automotive-Restoration-Service/1501342403329907/
Augie was recommended by some of the local Copper State Cruisers folks. Pleasantly surprised to see a few Cruisers in the parking lot when I pulled up! Augie has been at this for a long time - Learned from his grandfather and painted his first car at age 13.

Update: I don't think avoiding a body shop until paint stage is going to be possible. After further inspection, I found that the fender apron is tweaked pretty bad. I'm not sure if it needs to be cut out and a new one ($600 for OEM) welded in, or if it can be straightened back out. Either path is beyond my capabilities, so the Cruiser will be heading to a body shop ASAP...

Also, the fuse block is busted (though everything still works). Looks like the impact pushed the battery back into the box. Anybody have a functioning spare that they'd part with? Cheapest I can find new is $500 (P/N: 8272060023).

Email me at classy.jalopy@gmail.com - I still have the fuse block

Well I didn't hit an elk but we had golf ball sized hail on my beloved LX470, so our insurance, given the 221000 miles on it., totaled the vehicle. There's really nothing to fix but a cracked windshield and a cracked backup light lense. I'm going to use the money to buy a nice rear bumper with a tire swing out from Mike at BIOR, and a set of Dobinsons IMS shocks. I can live with the minor dents on the hood.

Well I didn't hit an elk but we had golf ball sized hail on my beloved LX470, so our insurance, given the 221000 miles on it., totaled the vehicle. There's really nothing to fix but a cracked windshield and a cracked backup light lense. I'm going to use the money to buy a nice rear bumper with a tire swing out from Mike at BIOR, and a set of Dobinsons IMS shocks. I can live with the minor dents on the hood.
The dimple effect will reduce drag and increase fuel mileage- 😎

The dimple effect will reduce drag and increase fuel mileage- 😎

Exactly lol. It's not bad at all. I will wait for the next hail storm to replace the hood. We're getting much larger hail in Colorado Springs (particularly in Broadmoor Bluffs where I live)) the past few years than we used to. I've heard some speculation that it's the particulates in the air caused by the wildfires, but who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom